It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

snnbrg HB User
Feel really silly

I have a small sore on my right ear that has been there since before Christmas. It sort of comes and goes. I say sort of, because it never really heals all the way -- it goes to a red, rough-ish patch where it is barely visible and hurts, but it's not really noticeable. If I bump it while doing my hair or something it'll bleed and open up and start the scabby-icky cycle all over again. So that's that. Finally, in March-ish, I called the derm's office and made an appointment. I know that's a lot of dawdling, but the sore is tiny, and I felt silly. I kept thinking it might have just been a dry patch due to dry heat, you know, winter air, etc.

The derm couldn't get me in until early May, but when May got here, a scheduling conflict led to my having to cancel, and, well, it was in a "healed-over" state, and I decided not to reschedule at that time. Yeah. Probably a bad decision. This sore is really small, and it was easy to dismiss it. It of course came back, but again, easy to dismiss it. I'm only 37, after all. Then, last week, I happened to feel an itch on my neck, and I felt a bulge where I'd never felt a bulge before. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's a lymph node. I felt sicker than I've ever felt before. For the past several weeks I've been dragging with fatigue, but I blamed it on perimenopause. My mom and sis had hysterectomies, so I had nothing to compare, and I had just assumed. Now I'm not so sure, and I immediately called my derm. They gave me the next available appointment, which is next week.

Sure enough, my little sore is starting to heal over again, which means I'm not even sure there's going to be much for the derm to see, and I feel stupid going in to a derm to look at a healed-ish spot. I mean, she's going to look at me and ask me why I want her to look at a reddish spot (smaller than a pencil eraser, no joke) and a bulge on my neck, which isn't even her area of expertise. I feel like a total hypochondriac. It doesn't help that about five years ago I had two moles removed that were just basically enormous weirdly shaped moles, nothing wrong with them. I feel so dumb.

I want to cancel again, just to avoid looking like a flake, but I'm genuinely scared. Is this really something to worry about, or am I making a mountain out of a (literal) molehill? Oh, also, there's a pin*****-sized sore on the other ear as well that seems to have also created a weird dimple in it (the ear, not the sore). I don't even know what that's about.

Background: Very fair skinned, blue eyed, naturally dark blonde, grew up in So. Cal. and had heckuva a lot of sunburns as a kid but have been religious about sunscreen since my late teens or so. Have not had more than a couple sunburns since and never tanned a single time in my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
(female)

fireweed HB User
Re: Feel really silly

Of course, I can't tell you what it might be but my advice is to follow through on seeing the derm, even if it's in it's semi-healed state. As you yourself note it is an unusual lesion on your skin, and it weighs on your mind, so why not get it checked out. Cancer or not, I imagine a derm can help you out - peace of mind is certainly worth a visit to the doc. It's not dumb or silly to be concerned about your health and to take action when something seems amiss! Best to you.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
(female)

Angela219 HB User

Your derm is used to seeing far less interesting spots than the one you describe. Most of their time is spent simply freezing off unsightly moles. Take your concern to your derm, if nothing else it'll brighten his/her day and you'll have an explanation for your spot.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Please go and if it is semi healed insist she biopsy.What you are descrbing sure sounds like basel cell skin cancer

Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Yes, the same thing happened to me. I put it off for years but I had a sore behind my ear that would come and go. Then it started to bleed off and on and looked nasty so I went to doctor and was a little scared.The doctor said it was huge and thought it was a basal cell and did a biopsy. It came back a basal cell which he removed in office and it left a big scare because it was so large and deep. It really sounds like a basal cell and the sooner you find out the better. The dermatologist will check out the entire body to make sure you are good. He found 3 other basal cells and took those out too. It does give you peace of mind and basal cells are a pain but aren't life threatening. Believe me, the doctor will not think you are being silly!!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

snnbrg HB User

Well, it's back to scabby-looking again already, so I guess it cycles more quickly than I had thought. I hate how it looks, because it's kind of gross. I really appreciate how helpful you all have been. I know I'm kind of young for any skin problems, and I've been really careful with my skin since my adulthood, but I also had a sunny childhood with NO skin protection and obscenely fair skin that just begs for burns.

Well, tomorrow's my big day, so it's too late to back out now!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
(female)

fireweed HB User

snnbrg,
just thinking of you and hoping you've now had answers and any necessary treatment.

Closed Thread