It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
(female)

JPC1987 HB User
Shave Biopsy VS. Shave Excision

Hi everyone,

yesterday I went to the dermatologist about a mole I've had for awhile. It is raised in the center and the pigment was spreading into the surrounding skin. I'm pretty sure this happened in pregnancy. Anyways, the dermatologist said she thought it was absolutely fine but wanted to "err on the side of caution" and take it off.

I asked whether she was going to do a "Shave removal" or "excise" the mole and she said she was doing a "shave excision". I wanted to hear that she would excise it and I was happy with that type of removal. The mole has been sent to the lab for testing. I asked the nurse if the entire mole was gone and she said "we took what we could see and if there is anything bad we will take more once we get the results of the biopsy."

So now I'm freaking out thinking I have melanoma and its still in my body. I'm very scared and wondering how that procedure could be called an "excision" if part of the mole is still in my body? Anyone have any info about these procedures?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

loveofhandbags HB User
Re: Shave Biopsy VS. Shave Excision

Hello there! I am sorry that you are dealing with this stress. I know that the waiting part was the hardest for me. When I had questionable moles my doctor also shaved the moles initially and sent them for a biopsy. Once the results came back, I was then scheduled for a re-excision of two of the mole areas.

This seems to be pretty common, at least what I have encountered and have read. Since the excision requires removal of a larger amount of skin, cauterization and then stitching the area, I assume doctors to not want to put patients through that unless it is necessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
(female)

JPC1987 HB User

Thanks for your reply. Did your suspicious moles end up being melanoma?

I am very stressed and scared. I can barely eat or sleep, I know I am overreacting but I am just feeling so out of control about the whole situation. I just hope the mole ends up being nothing and I can rest easy again.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

sunshinexo HB User

I hear that moles can change because of hormone levels through pregnancy. So, I wouldn't worry too much and it might just because of that since you said you are pretty sure it has happened during your pregnancy. I've also heard if it's anything serious, they get back to you pretty quick (even though I guess that's not always the case). I wouldn't worry too much either!

Closed Thread