It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

sunshinexo HB User
Shave Biopsy; Healing Process Question

Hello again . I just have another question that I wanted cleared up since it's a little confusing as what is considered "normal" in the healing process of a shaved biopsy.

I had one done about 2wks ago (it would be this coming Wednesday) and it came back benign thankfully. Put an end to my worrying haha. However, I just wanted to make sure the healing process of my shave biopsy is normal.

I'm cleaning it twice a day; I place hydrogen peroxide on to a piece of gauze (the shave biopsy is on my back, so, I can't really pour it on) and pat it around the wound and on it. I make sure it's clean and then place the polysporin on to the bandaid and then on to my wound.

Of course, with so many bandaids, the skin that had the adhesive parts of the bandaid is a little red but I guess that's to be expected. That's besides the point anyway. I just wanted to know if it's pretty normal to have a red ring surrounding the biopsy site. It's been there from day one and it just outlines the biopsy site. The wound inside has closed up (I think it scabbed a bit but I believe that's okay - I think the only reason they don't want it to scab is so that it doesn't leave a bigger scar) and seems fine. It's still a little tender to the touch, no significant pain or anything and when I take the bandaid off there is very faintly a little yellow on it (the wound isn't oozing or anything like that).

I just want to make sure there's no infection going on and that it's healing okay.

edit;---

I had my fiance look at it and he said the brown actually doesn't look like the scab and it just looks like the rest of my mole .

Last edited by sunshinexo; 06-27-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Shave Biopsy; Healing Process Question

I've had both shave and punch biopsies, and I'm always surprised at how long it takes for the shave biopsies to heal. I think it has to do with the fact that most punch biopsies involve stitches and that closes the wound more quickly; whereas shave biopsies are like a scrape on the skin and requires more natural healing. Who knows?

At 2 weeks, if the wound is no longer open and if it doesn't rub on anything (such as a bra), than I would say you can probably forego the bandaids. I'm not sure how big the shave was, but if it isn't oozing or there isn't any pain, I'm thinking exposure to air might be the best thing. If it's in a spot that rubs, then you might want to see if that is still sensitive, but I'm thinking not.

As long as you are not having any bleeding, pus, swelling, or pain, I would say there isn't any infection.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
(male)

david5555 HB User
Re: Shave Biopsy; Healing Process Question

I had one on my lower leg that has taken over a month to finally close up. The red ring around the site has only now started to fade. I called the docs office a week ago because I was concerned and they said shaves can take a while to heal and it sounded normal to them, esp on a slow healing location like where mine was.

They also told me not to use peroxide as that can dry it out. Just stick with cleaning it and then using petrolatum/vasaline under the bandage since keeping it moist is most important.

Closed Thread