It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

sunshinexo HB User
Thinking of Going Making Another Appt..?

Am I just going crazy? After my derm appt a month ago, there are these two moles that are bothering me. One is kinda odd, it's on my lower leg by my knee - it looks asymmetrical and it seems like it's brown in one spot but then it outlines the rest of it with a light brown with normal colored skin inside of it. It just.. looks off. Then I have this one mole on the back of my thigh that is dark brown and it smears a little on the side to a light brown. I dunno if it just looks like that because it's on a stretch mark. Truthfully, I can't remember if they have been there for a while. I wanna say the one on my knee appeared after I went to Aquatica back in April but Im not sure (I did get a bad sunburn, but it was just restricted to the back of my legs and stomach.. the rest of me was just a light pink sunburn or none - I'll never use spray sunblock again; it seems I always miss a spot).

I'm thinking of going back again but I don't wanna be seen as this crazy person who is just paranoid (since I'm coming back a month later). I feel like they will just not take me seriously if I go again. However, I kind of go with the thought of - if it doesnt look right, get it checked out. My fiance was telling me that's what they are there for and they arent going to look at you weird since they get people like you all the time (plus, he would love it if I stopped looking at them and questioning lol Im driving him nuts).

I know I should be thinking "It's fine, she would have said something last time". But I also think, "What if she just didn't really look at it?" I hate thinking like this and I know I'm one of those worry-warts. I just wanted to see what your guys opinion is. I think I'll call this afternoon for an appt and just do it.

----update;;

I made the appt (the lady questioned why I wanted to come back and I told her I just wanted reassurance on these two moles I had). Here are photos of the two moles I'm a little worried about:

Mole 1:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2dwb6gm.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2whgpco.jpg

Mole 2:
http://i55.tinypic.com/21dhon9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2yulvo7.jpg

Mole 1 just looks like it has irregular borders and like I said, it just seems like half the mole is colored while the rest isnt..

The second one (the back of my thigh) just... doesn't look right. As you can see, it has that light brown pigmentation and it looks like it has irregular borders. I just dont know if that's just 'cause of my stretch mark that it kinda sits on?

Last edited by sunshinexo; 07-11-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Thinking of Going Making Another Appt..?

I know right after my wide excision surgery for melanoma, I was seeing all kinds of things on my skin. Heck, I even thought I spotted a mole growing on my excision scar!! AND I was going on vacation for 2 weeks, so I really freaking myself out. So, a month and a half after surgery, I was back in my surgeon's office having him look at what I swore was a tiny brown mole developing on my scar. Turned out there was absolutely nothing there. But! It put my mind at ease during vacation - even if it did make me look like a crazy paranoid woman at the time!

I look at it this way: melanoma is an extremely aggressive form of cancer. The earlier it is found, the better the prognosis. The majority of melanoma is discovered not by doctors, but by the individuals who have it. If I find something that looks "off," or "weird," I'm not taking any chances - I want it checked. If the doc thinks I'm paranoid? So be it. It puts my mind at ease, and s/he gets paid for an office visit. I think that's win-win.

Now, if I'm in the office every week or every month, then something is definitely wrong, and that needs to be addressed.

So, my opinion? Go, get it checked out. If it's bothering you, put your mind at ease. It's probably nothing, and the doctor most likely looked at last month, but make yourself feel better now. Just watch yourself and try not to get too panicky and find an excuse to see the doc every other week.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

sunshinexo HB User

Haha, yeh I know what you mean! I know after I see these two looked at, I will feel 10x better and not keep looking at them and scrutinizing over them. It's funny how sometimes those funny looking moles really are nothing. When I was worried about the ones on my stomach, she looked at them and went "Well, what we look for is an ugly duckling. If you look at them, they are all similar to each other and really they look fine." I have a few that have a small dot (like a freckle) in the middle or inside of it, but those didn't seem to phase her. She decided to take one off my back that looked a little funky (I never noticed it) and it was fine.

My fiance was telling me that moles/freckles aren't always perfect (nothing ever is) and you can't freak out every time. He has a freckle/mole (idk, it's hard to tell between them sometimes lol) on his arm that looks like a pentagon - but he's had it as long as he can remember and never has changed. Just like I have this freckle/mole on my lower arm that looks more like a diamond and another one that is very small that has a shade of dark brown and the rest is brown - but just like him, I've had it foreeeeeeever and it's never changed. It doesn't worry me in the least.

But as you said; I'll rather look paranoid and have a peace of mind then to stress over nothing - which is probably what I'm doing haha.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

sunshinexo HB User

I uploaded some pics of the moles I'm concerned about~

Closed Thread