It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

nickynines HB User
please advise!!I think i need a cheek or forehead flap..:(

I have had three surgeries to repair the left lower portion of my nose due to bcc. First they did a skin graft (that died on my nose).then they tried a piece from my ear.(that also didnt take) then i was sent to a dr. Who pulled my nose over and tried to fill the hole with my exsisting tissue..from that surgery i am left with a raised left alar(nostril..) and major notching...what i needed from the beginning was a flap.(either a cheek or a forehead) but for some reason. My dr. At the time took what he called "a more global approach". I am running out of options and am now under the care of dr "d". (boston ma.) he's very well reguarded and quite frankly my last shot..this has been the tuffest yr. Of my life..does anybody know dr. D.? rafffi der sakkasian?...has anybody ever had a bad first surgery, then got a good repair thru a flap...i've seen some pretty ugly situations (way worse than mine) that were fixed..i don't know why this has beed so difficult. My original mohs surgery left about a 1/2 dime size half circle that included the rim of my nostril..i know thats one of the hardest spot to repair but again i've seen many wonderful before and after photos that were way worse than mine...i need some advise..i am so upset and losing all hope...

Last edited by nickynines; 08-11-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: I think i need a cheek or forehead flap..:(

Hi Nicky

I have never had the kind of surgery that involves the area of your cancer surgery. I just wanted to tell you not to ever lose hope for success.

I did have surgery done in Boston, though. Mine was at Mass General. This surgery was a second surgery and my leg was saved by it. ( Sarcoma in left thigh). The doctors in the Boston area are well known world-wide for cutting edge techniques in ndealing with cancer surgeries of all kinds. While I have never heaqrd bof you4r doctor, I am sure he must be very good to be held in such high regard.

Keep the faith, Nicky. I will be pulling for you. When is the surgery scheduled? Let me know and I will be holding both you and the doctor up in prayer during it.

Hugs
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

nickynines HB User
Re: HELP! has any body ever had a cheek or forhead flap for nose repair of bcc

Thanks so much for the kind words...I am still healing from the last surgery. It has left me a bit disfigured. Currently in the first of a three stage process. This has been extremely difficult to say the least, however, the time you have taken to respond to my concerns has been encourageing. Thanks again...best wishes to you as well!

Last edited by nickynines; 08-12-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: changing title

The following user gives a hug of support to nickynines:
della3 (08-17-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Nicky

I was just reading some reviews on your Dr D and I think he is a good choice, indeed, for you. Funny thing iss the first review I read was from a patient who had already and 2 failed surgeries on the nose and chose him for a third surgery. He was able to do the work correctly and successfully!

Anyway, just stopped by to tell you I am thinking of you.

:-)
reach

Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
(male)

nickynines HB User

it amazes me that someone i don't even know would do research to help me out...i am blown away by that..this whole experience has changed me. i stopped to talk to a guy with downes syndrom the other day..i really was interested in what he had to say...i've gone from being charlie (on two and a half men) to alan..lol..god help me...thanks reach..you are doing gods work...thanks for your help.............nicky nines

Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: please advise!!I think i need a cheek or forehead flap..:(

Wow, I had not heard of this, but I imagine you cannot be the first or only person this has happened to. Do you possibly have grounds to file a malpractice suit? At least pain and suffering - it seems as if you have undergone more pain and suffering than anyone should have to endure. Don't have anything to add, other than I wish you all the best.

Oh, and may it'll make you laugh, but when I first saw the title of your post, I thought it said, "I think I need a cheek or forehead Slap" I was wondering, what the... What can I say? The eyes are going...

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
(male)

nickynines HB User
Re: please advise!!I think i need a cheek or forehead flap..:(

thanks for the kind words.....i probally do need a slap for not being a little more careful...i'm too trusting..and impatient..but i got the right guy now..and i havent lost faith...as far as suing...thers's an old saying..when embarking on a journey of revenge..dig two graves....i don't need all that negitivity....have a graet day

Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
(female)

della3 HB User

Hello!
I hope everything is going well! I think this surgery will be the answer to your prayers. I just read on another board where someone was sent to your Dr. D to fix a bad problem and they were thrilled with the results. I joined this board just to tell you this. I couldn't believe that I read that post and when I saw your subject line & read it I knew I had to get on here and tell you!
I have a very similar problem to yours... The left side of my nose has a defect and I also need a flap of some sort. I will be thinking and praying for your speedy recovery. Please come on & let us know how you are

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
(male)

nickynines HB User

thanks della... and the same to you...people keep telling me i will be ok....it's just hard to believe that when i've had three bad surgeries...but people like yourself who take the time out of their day to respond even when thet have their own issues going on is so very inspiring.....please stay in touch...i will let u know how i make out..this dr. is supossed to best one of the best.....i'll get u a referral if u need one ....

Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
(female)

della3 HB User

Good to see you! Thank You so much for the offer for the referral but I am a LONG way from Boston... I still don't know what I am going to do, please keep me in your prayers... Just keep us informed on your progress.. There are more people in our situation than we can imaging.. We have to keep everyone's spirits up.. There is hope for a complete recovery and a happy ending)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
(female)

della3 HB User

HOW ARE YOU??? Thinking about you and hoping the procedure is going well.. Let us know, you made some friends here that care about you!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
(male)

nickynines HB User

hi della,
so nice to hear from u..quite frankly every day is a battle...its all i can do to get up and go to work but i'll go crazy if i stay home...i wear a bandaid on the lower third of my nose to cover the disfigurement..my next appointment is sept 30th...hopefully things will have healed enought for my new dr. to straighten my nose(which needs to be done before anything else)..then comes comes the tricky part..the skin graft from my cheek or forehead..he may send me to chicago for that...god help me...how are you? can u tell me a little of whats going on with u?...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
(female)

della3 HB User

I know you will be glad to get this over with.. What is Doctor D going to straighten out? Do you also have issues with your you nose being crooked? ? I thought he was pretty good with forehead flaps... Why do you have to go to Chicago?
I am sort of in the same position as you as far as having to wear a cover. I use a piece of duo derm extra thin which works great and never comes off until you want it to. I honestly don't know what I am going to need done but probably the same as you. I have a large indented scar on the bottom left of my nose. I do know what you mean about a struggle.. Some days are better than others. I will be thinking of you, please keep in touch, ttylDella

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
(male)

nickynines HB User

thanks for the support della,
so tell me..(if u want) what is your game plan?..can u share it with me? i found it helps to bounce things off of others.......keep the faith.....jimmy

Last edited by moderator2; 08-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
(female)

della3 HB User

Hello,
I hope you are OK... I am going to see a few different doctors and see what they have to say and then I will decide. If I were you I would do whatever Dr D tells you to do.. Please know There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! I have a friend that has such damage they are going to amputate the tip and build it back.and he is confident they can do it. They will be able to help you and you will look fine. Please take care....Della...

Last edited by moderator2; 08-28-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Closed Thread