It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

yellowdaisy HB User
Punchy biopsy on face/nose - hoping its a sebaceous cyst

Hi,

I very recently completed a course of treatment with Carac on my face for actinic keratosis. When I saw my dermatologist yesterday, he thought I looked great, and I mostly agreed. However, during the treatment, there was one spot on the side of my nose that didn't react to the Carac at all, but it bled and turned red when I put the steroid ointment on my face that my doctor had prescribed to help my skin heal after the Carac.

He took a look at that spot yesterday and we talked about it. It's been there for about 5 years. I asked my prior dermatologist about it and he thought it was just a "little abnormality". It has no pigment - it is skin colored. It is not very dome-shaped or raised, but it is thicker than the area around it. It is about a 1/2-inch long. It's almost most easily seen when I pull my nose to the side and that pulls the skin tighter.

I was afraid that it could be rosacea. He didn't think so ~ he said he believed it was probably either a sebaceous hyperplasia (fancy word for cyst) or some type of sun damage to the underneath layer of collagen. However, he recommended a punch biopsy just to rule out anything more serious. "Like what?" I asked. "A cancer of some kind?" And he said yes, although he felt the chances were unlikely. He said the biopsy would take 1 stitch and leave a little scar.

Having JUST completed this Carac treatment, and having had 2 shave biopsies on my nose in the past 6 months for actinic keratosis, I am kind of in shock that I have to have another biopsy! I told him I wasn't mentally prepared to have it yet.

Has anyone had a punch biopsy with one stitch - especially on your nose? Did it leave much of a scar? Will the results tell me not only whether or not it is cancer, but will they tell me if it IS a sebaceous cyst or something else? If it is a sebaceous cyst, does anyone know if these can be removed, and how are they removed, and does that leave a scar? I was in such shock, I didn't really think to ask any of these questions.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!!! Thank you!

Patty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Punchy biopsy on face/nose - hoping its a sebaceous cyst

Hi, I had a lump the size of top of small finger removed from the side of my nose. It grew from pinhead size to above size in three weeks. I was alarmed. My Dermo removed it with Cryo-Surgery. Because it left quite a hole and there was no skin to pull together to stitch it had to be left open. It looke an awful mess and I had to go back and get it cleaned out, it took weeks to start to heal. One year down the road and it has healed extremely well and has left only the slightest indentation that no one has noticed, I'm perfectly happy with it.
I also had a mole removed above my lip and had one stitch in it, it has also healed well and the skin now is just a shade lighter than the rest. I have had two others treated with Liquid-Nytrogen.
Fortunately all biopsy's came back Non Malignant. I feel a little indentation and a piece of white skin is a small price to pay for what could have been a different story. Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
yellowdaisy (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisy View Post
Hi,

I very recently completed a course of treatment with Carac on my face for actinic keratosis. When I saw my dermatologist yesterday, he thought I looked great, and I mostly agreed. However, during the treatment, there was one spot on the side of my nose that didn't react to the Carac at all, but it bled and turned red when I put the steroid ointment on my face that my doctor had prescribed to help my skin heal after the Carac.

He took a look at that spot yesterday and we talked about it. It's been there for about 5 years. I asked my prior dermatologist about it and he thought it was just a "little abnormality". It has no pigment - it is skin colored. It is not very dome-shaped or raised, but it is thicker than the area around it. It is about a 1/2-inch long. It's almost most easily seen when I pull my nose to the side and that pulls the skin tighter.

I was afraid that it could be rosacea. He didn't think so ~ he said he believed it was probably either a sebaceous hyperplasia (fancy word for cyst) or some type of sun damage to the underneath layer of collagen. However, he recommended a punch biopsy just to rule out anything more serious. "Like what?" I asked. "A cancer of some kind?" And he said yes, although he felt the chances were unlikely. He said the biopsy would take 1 stitch and leave a little scar.

Having JUST completed this Carac treatment, and having had 2 shave biopsies on my nose in the past 6 months for actinic keratosis, I am kind of in shock that I have to have another biopsy! I told him I wasn't mentally prepared to have it yet.

Has anyone had a punch biopsy with one stitch - especially on your nose? Did it leave much of a scar? Will the results tell me not only whether or not it is cancer, but will they tell me if it IS a sebaceous cyst or something else? If it is a sebaceous cyst, does anyone know if these can be removed, and how are they removed, and does that leave a scar? I was in such shock, I didn't really think to ask any of these questions.

Any feedback would be very appreciated!!! Thank you!

Patty
Yes the Biopsy will tell whether it is Cancerous or not and also what type of
mole/cyst it is. Solofelix.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

yellowdaisy HB User

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I had the punch biopsy yesterday. I haven't removed the dressing yet. The doctor said he used 1 stitch. I am soooo worried about what it is going to be.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

yellowdaisy,
I did not see a follow up to the results of your punch biopsy. Hope it is non cancer.
I am having a punch biopsy this afternoon.
How did yours heal?
How long did you leave the stitch or stitches in?
Tracey

Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
(male)

jay8 HB User

I'll second that. I'm having a punch excision on my nose tip in a couple of weeks (1 stitch) and would love to know how these things turn out. Please update if possible.

Closed Thread