It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User
Non pigmented toenail melanoma !!!!!!

I'm scared to death! First off, I am a severe hypochondriac. I just wanted to get that out of the way

About 8 or 9 months ago (maybe more) I notices a discoloration on the proximal end of my toenail. It looked like a bruise. My shoes are never proper fitting. Anyway, it is at the tip, not the matrix or the sides.

It looked like it may have even lightened up over the last couple mo this.
2 weeks ago I happen to be at my dermatologist. I showed him. He measured it. He thought it was growing out since it's at the tip. I told him I thoughtit hadn't moved in 9 months, but who knows. Toenails grow so slowly.he didn't think it was anything, measured it and said he will remeasure in a month.

Last week I happen to be at my family doctor (see I go to a lot of doctors, I told you I'm a hypochondriac) and I show him. He says it's a fungus. So I leave somewhat relieved.

Then Friday I go see my podiatrist and show him. He says we can do 2 things: measure and photo it and wait 3 mo ths and see if it growsout or changes, or we can biopsy. He goes on to explain how painful and difficult toenail biopsy is and I interrupt him and say "can you Domitian now?" he looks surprised and says "yes" so I'm like "then let's just do it!" he says "all right I'll get my scalpel"

He removes a section of the toenail and then does a punch biopsie. Wow did that bleed. He said the nail bed appears to be normal color, with no ulceration. He did note a "bulbous" thing, which I am hoping is a wart.

Of course he won't speculate on it being a melanoma, but he did say if it were a melanoma it would have to be the non pigmented type, and in 35 years as a podiatric surgeon he has never seen one!

He also noted that the nail itself was also discolored, when he first looked at it before removing the nail he through the discoloration was on the nail bed itself.he sent the nail out for a fungal culture.

So to surmise, there is no pain, no inflammation, even below the nail, and the matrix is not involved, and the moon is also not invalid, it's closer to the tip.
I remember my dermatologist said melanomas usually originate from the matrix.

I will not sleep for the next 2 weeks until I get the results. I'm hoping someone on here can tell me something reassuring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User
Re: Non pigmented toenail melanoma !!!!!!

Here is a picture before and after.
You really have ot look hard to see the discoloration. and notice that white patch in the middle? that is because I used a file to try to sand off the discoloration. Im not sure if it turned white my the file scratching the nail surface. or because eI actually removed some of the color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0657.jpg (98.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0664.jpg (93.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User

Oh and just to add, I'm white, and 46 years old

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

The most reassuring thing I can tell you is that melanoma on the nailbed is very, very rare. It is a good thing you've had it biopsied - always good to have something checked out rather than have it keep bothering you! However, the chances of this actually being melanoma are very remote. I realize it can be difficult to relax when waiting for results, but there isn't much you can do until the results come in. I think you will be just fine! But let us know when the results come in and keep us updated!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

jonphotog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele60 View Post
The most reassuring thing I can tell you is that melanoma on the nailbed is very, very rare. It is a good thing you've had it biopsied - always good to have something checked out rather than have it keep bothering you! However, the chances of this actually being melanoma are very remote. I realize it can be difficult to relax when waiting for results, but there isn't much you can do until the results come in. I think you will be just fine! But let us know when the results come in and keep us updated!
Thanks! thats what the doctor told me. He said it is more common with Asian and dark skinned peoples. He also added, that non pigmented melanoma (which is what mine would have to be if it were a melanoma) is even rarer.

I did a search on this forum and see very little mention of it, which probably is also good testament of its rarity

Closed Thread