It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

nikkixi HB User
Large mole sent for biopsy...

Hello all,

I am curious what the risk factor is for a large mole to be cancer. I am awaiting results from a biopsy I had done yesterday, and unfortunately searching the internet a lot. All things seem to indicate to me that moles 7mm are pretty much certainly melanoma.

Mine was a 7mm mole on my back that I've had for years. It has recently grown, I'm not sure how quickly because I haven't watched it for a couple years and recently had a baby who I am still breastfeeding (he is 8 months old). It had a tiny lump on it that I don't remember always feeling there.

I saw a PA, not a doctor, at a family practice. He said that the mole was symmetrical, but very large at 7mm and was the largest he's removed. He said it had color variation and a rough border, an overall "strange appearance".

I've read many horror stories and I'm so worried I'm living in a nightmare from which I can't escape now. I have my infant son and a nine year old daughter and want nothing more than to watch them grow and to be here to be their mother.

Right now I can't even drag myself to school today. My son is napping and I'm sitting here crying / feeling sick with my back in terrible pain from the biopsy. Please let me know if anyone has experience with large moles like this.

It was also my ONLY mole. Does that make it more of a melanoma risk?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Large mole sent for biopsy...

I have had melanoma, and I know it can be very frightening to consider. The melanoma I had was about 1/4" in diameter - about the size of a pencil eraser - and looked "odd." But not really all that much like melanoma.

However, several years ago, I had 3 moles on my torso that were quite large and truly fit all the descriptions of melanoma. They were large, very dark and uneven in color, ragged borders, lumpy/bumpy in texture, asymmetrical. I mean, when you see pictures of melanoma on the internet, these moles were exactly that! Coupled with the fact that I'm very fair-skinned, have red-hair, spent a LOT of time in the sun, suffered a few bad burns during my lifetimes, and have quite a few moles, this put me at risk for melanoma. I watched this moles for quite a number of years, and could never tell if they were growing, if they started to itch, and one time I actually thought one was bleeding. (Though I think I was picking at it so much, it started to bleed.) Finally, I made an appointment with a doctor and told him I wanted them removed. He told he didn't want to do it, as they had been there so long. I insisted, as I was done trying to monitor them and freaking out about them. He removed them and biopsied them. The result? Negative. They were simply moles. Very ugly moles. Very melanoma-looking moles. But moles, all the same.

More than 10 years later, when a freckle developed on my knee, I thought it was a little strange but didn't pay it much mind. Until it developed very quickly into a mole - a rather "odd" mole: very, very round, with an extremely sharp, crisp border, rather dark in color, about 1/4" in diameter. After about a month, it sort of "popped up," and that kind of concerned me, so I had my doctor look at it. She didn't think it was anything, but decided to remove it. The biopsy came back: malignant melanoma.

My point? Don't go off of pictures on the internet. They can try to depict melanoma the best they know how, but there are so many variations, it's hard to capture all of them. What I thought I "knew" would be melamona wasn't. And what didn't fit the criteria turned out to be melanom. You have the mole removed - good! - now let the pathologist do their work. The results will be in soon enough. Worry about that IF there is something to worry about!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

sunshinexo HB User

Just because it's big does NOT mean it's always melanoma . And just like the person above me said, sometimes even the ugliest ones come out just fine.

I have one on my torso actually that is a bit big, about 6mm. It's been there as long as I can remember (maybe 3-5 years?), never has changed but it just kinda bugged me it was bigger than the ones around it. Years later, after scaring myself by looking at melanoma on the internet, I was convinced it was melanoma, even though it really didn't look that strange.

I went to the derm, showed it to her and she said even though it's a bit big, it looks just like the ones around it (and it does, the other ones are just a bit smaller), so there was nothing to worry about. She actually took one off my back that I guess (never noticed it) that had a white ring around it and varied in color. Came back just fine.

I also had two moles I was concerned about that I had removed recently also. One was a bit odd in shape and the other one looked a bit ragged in border and had color variation .. again came back fine.

You have to remember that melanoma is VERY rare. Your mole might have changed because of your pregnancy - I have heard of that happening because of all the hormones in your body. You'll be okay, I'm sure of it!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
(female)

sunitea HB User

Hi,
I had 3 biopsies done, including one on my back, which was a 7mm mole. It was asymetrical and was brown with a black dot. I also come from a family with a history of Malignant melanoma (father &paternal grandmother both passed away from it). But I got my pathology results back& that mole was perfectly fine! So don't worry, I know that's easier said than done because trust me, I was concerned!

I did have to have follow-up excision biopsies on the two other sites. I had the first this morning& second one will be performed next week.

Good luck& best wishes!!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

sunitea HB User

Last edited by sunitea; 09-20-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: same post submited twice,sorry!

Closed Thread