It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

Tracey248 HB User
Biopsy/Nose

Hello,
I have several questions regarding possible nose cancer.
What type of biopsy is most effective for basal cell cacinoma?
I have read alot about shave versus punch technique.
Which is less likely to leave a scar?
And if is cancer, how does one find a good facial plastic surgery to perform surgery after the Mohs surgery>
Thanks. I am worried sick.
Tracey

Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
(male)

mszach HB User
Re: Biopsy/Nose

I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions. I used to live in Rapid City, not sure if you're going to be able to find a good surgeon there but if you are able to travel, I can recommend some really good ones in Minnesota. Hope you are able to find a good dermatologist and that your biopsy is negative. I'm sure someone else will come along with good advise for you, hang in there!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-30-2011 at 04:54 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

Hi, thanks to you for your quick reply. I could get to Minnesota, and I would love to hear who you can recommend. Would it be derms who do Mohs or plastic surgeon who do the repairs or both? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

Thanks for your response. I can get to the docs in Minnesota. Are they derms who do the Mohs or the plastic surgeons who do the repair? Any names are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tracey248; 09-30-2011 at 03:59 AM. Reason: duplicate

Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

Zach,
Can you please give me the name of the doctor/doctors in Minnesota as soon as you can? I will make an appointment immediatley and go there as soon as I can get in.
Thank you.
Tracey

Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey248 View Post
Hello,
I have several questions regarding possible nose cancer.
What type of biopsy is most effective for basal cell cacinoma?
I have read alot about shave versus punch technique.
Which is less likely to leave a scar?
And if is cancer, how does one find a good facial plastic surgery to perform surgery after the Mohs surgery>
Thanks. I am worried sick.
Tracey
Hi, I had a large growth removed from the left side of my nose a year ago.
From a pinhead size it grew in three weeks to the size of my small finger nail area. Fortunately a biopsy showed it not to be malignant.
My dermo Dr removed it via Cyro-Surgery under local Anesthetic. It could not be stitched as there was no skin to pull together.
For a month it looked awful as it discharged because of the depth of the cut. It took a good six months to heal completely but apart from a slightly lighter shade of skin you would not notice it unless you were told beforehand.
I'm very happy with the result. Since then I have had three other Moles removed with Liquid=Nytrogen.
Depending on the growth or mole I don't think you will need cosmetic surgery, I certainly would not worry until you get your biopsy results.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

Solofelix,
Thanks for responding, I am really a nervous wreck.
A couple of quick questions.
What did it look like after it grew? Red or colored, blood vessels showing? Texture?
If it wasn't malignant ,can I ask what was it?
And where was it on your nose? Mine is right below where glasses go across your face(can't think of the name of that piece.) But there seems like there is no fat underneath,
almost on bone.
Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
(male)

mszach HB User

Ok, I'm going to give you the name of a few dermatologists that I have heard nothing but good things about. The first one does a lot of MOHS, she is relatively young but I know 3 people that have had excellent results, Dr. Theresa Ray (Dermatologist) She is with Park Nicollet, that whole group is good. Dr. Jennifer Lee is a dermatologist my mother had for years, she has a very good rep and is well respected here in the Twin Cities. Dr. Scott Ross in Eden Prairie is another one and Dr. Maria Hordinsky. All these docs have good ratings on the net but that's only part of it. My sister and father are both doctors and they recommended those names to me.

As for plastic surgerons, Dr. Robert Wilke has done a lot of MOES repairs and probably has the best reputation in the area, he is in Edina Dr. Jennifer Harrington is not only good, she's a very nice lady too, according to the research I've done You can also try Dr. Mark Migliori I think he used to practice with Dr. Wilke, not sure if he still does.

These are some of the best doctors in Minnesota, it might take some time to get in. I believe Dr. Ray is a well kept secret for now, she is relatively new to the practice so I would expect her to be able to see you within 4-6 weeks. Best wishes to you!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-02-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: please do not post telephone numbers

Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Solofelix,
Thanks for responding, I am really a nervous wreck.
A couple of quick questions.
What did it look like after it grew? Red or colored, blood vessels showing? Texture?
If it wasn't malignant ,can I ask what was it?
And where was it on your nose? Mine is right below where glasses go across your face(can't think of the name of that piece.) But there seems like there is no fat underneath,
almost on bone.
Thanks again.
Hi,
It was a lump (something like a Pearl) that's how I'd describe it. It had a slight indented centre, much the same colour of my skin and it itched quite a bit.
I believe my Dermo called it (Actinic Keratosis) look it up!!...
The dermo had to cut quite deep to get it all out. (Lucky for me I never felt a thing) I think he sort of burned it after to stop the bleeding.
It was on the outer left of my nose.
After a year and a half it has healed so well and there is the slightest indentation which considering I'm the wrong side of 50yrs is good and it doesn't concern me at all.
Hope this helps. Solofelix.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

Thank you very much mszach and Solofelix for all your help.
mszack, I am going to call the numbers on Monday.
I had done some research prior to your names. Have you ever
heard or Dr. Tolan? He is in Eagan and Woodbury.
I don't know what I would do without the people on this board.
It is very much appreciated. Tracey

Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
(male)

mszach HB User

Quote:
Thank you very much mszach and Solofelix for all your help.
mszack, I am going to call the numbers on Monday.
I had done some research prior to your names. Have you ever
heard or Dr. Tolan? He is in Eagan and Woodbury.
I don't know what I would do without the people on this board.
It is very much appreciated. Tracey
Glad I was able to be of help. Sorry I can't help you any further, I just got a PM from a mod about posting the name and number of those docs. I don't agree with that policy at all and will not return to the health board forums again. At any rate, those are really good doctors, you should be able to get your issues taken care of and come out looking good. Best of luck to you!

Closed Thread