It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User
skin cancer untreated

I have had some places on my face for awhile, my family dr told me not to worry but I think I should of worried. I have one place above my eyebrow that is a crusty place it comes and goes it has gotten bigger over the years it is oval shape now. I am afraid since the first time I noticed it was 10 yrs ago and I now see that it is bigger and sometimes bleeds. I'm afraid that it has spread inside my body. I have two places on my nose that look like scars just white patches I am fair skin so you really can't see it unless you look really hard I just notice it with no makeup on it isn't crusty or bleed any. So my question is how many of you have had a skin cancer place for awhile without getting any treatment for it? Do you think I have to worry about it spreading to my bloodstream or other organs. I would have gotten it taken care of if I really thought it was skin cancer. I am going to go to the dr as soon as I get up some money, I have no insurance so I have to wait a few weeks. Thank you for listening to my worries!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: skin cancer untreated

Don't bother going to your doctor. He doesn't think it's a problem and even if he did, he wouldn't do anything about it....he'd send you to a dermatologist.

So skip the doc and make an appointment with a dermatologist. You don't need a referral...just call and make an appointment and tell them why you need to be seen. They may even have special rates for those without insurance or maybe a lower rate if they have a PA(physician's assistant) and you see only the PA. Most hospitals have clinics where you pay what you can afford. Medical schools have them too so if you have a university with a medical school, call and see if they have a dermatology clinic you can use.

They can tell immediately if it needs to be removed and then do it that day. Primary docs(GP's) won't touch them. GP's don't know what can be frozen off or what has to be cut off(or how deep) and how to do it without leaving a scar.

I just waited 8 months just to see the PA at the derm and found out I had 3 different problems on my face and a benign tumor on my arm. One needed antibiotics, one needed no treatment and the pre-cancerous lesion she froze off my forehead that day. Don't have to go back for 2 years. Hubby goes to the same place and they removed and biopsied a mole the first visit. Turned out to be early melanoma and they removed more of it and now he goes back yearly for mole checks. Worth the money and the wait to see one.

Don't ask your GP to remove anything.....see the dermatologist and have it diagnosed properly, treated right and done immediately. And save your bucks for it......they aren't cheap but it can save your life.

Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

Passiongirl79 HB User

Jenny....thank you, I think I will call around on monday to different dermatolgist in the area and see which one is the cheapest. I just wish I would have done this along time ago instead of waiting, just thought it might not be anything. It comes and goes I just hope its nothing serious, just can be cut out and hasn't spread anywhere in the body. Skin cancer is so dangerous and so many people get it these days. Well thank you for responding.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Definitely call around and get good price. Why not? Just see a derm and get it taken care of. I hate it when GP's say it's nothing...because they really don't know....do they? And once they agree you need to have it seen, then you still have to wait months to see the derm. So by-pass that GP and see the derm and then you will know.

Let me know how it goes..............Jenny

Old 11-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
(female)

Kaco HB User

Sorry for late reply, just saw this. Teaching hospitals usually will only charge you what you can pay. Check out that first. Out of 5 skin eruptions I had removed 2 wks ago only one cancerous. squamous cell. Better call and get in quickly.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

As stated previously, a dermatologist is your best bet. If, and that is a big if, this is skin cancer, it sounds as if it might be basal or squamous cell. Either of these are fairly common facial skin cancers, and caused from sun exposure. Good news? They are both extremely slow growing cancers and can be present for years (we are talking decades, in a lot of cases) before they can spread deep enough to affect the blood stream. Definitely get this checked out, but it's been 10 years, give or take? I doubt it has spread to the blood stream - yes, basal and squamous cell carcinomas are that slow growing.

Closed Thread