It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

Karolina810 HB User
Mole on toe... risk of melanoma?

My husband has a mole on his right toe that I am concerned about. He has had it for a few years. It is maybe 3mm and raised. Attached is a picture. From anyone who has had experience, does this look dangerous? I have read on the internet that moles on the feet are usually cancerous. Is this true? He has an appointment with the dermatologist on Dec 9th, but I am very anxious about this. Any advice? I have also attached a picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0604.jpg (118.8 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Mole on toe....risk of melanoma?

Hello! I can't see the picture, as it has yet to be approved by the mods. However, you have an appointment with a dermatologist, so you are doing the right thing. I know 12/9 seems like such a long way away, but it will be here before you know it, and the best thing is to try not to panic. (I know - much easier said than done!)

I had melanoma on my knee, but I do have a couple of moles on my feet and toes. One mole developed quite quickly after my melanoma on the side of big toe on my right foot. The derm takes a look at it every time I go in for a skin check, and I watch it diligently, but so far it has stopped growing and it is not changing or developing into anything other than a mole.

Not every mole on the feet are cancerous. Some are just, well, moles. Moles can develop anywhere, actually - even on the retina of the eyes. (Yes, I even have those, too!) As long a your husband is having this checked out with a dermatologist, you are both doing the right thing. Just be sure to have any questions you might want answered with you when you go to the dermatologist.

Good luck, and I'm sure you will be just fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

Karolina810 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply Chele60!
I do not have much experience dealing with moles (nor do I have many), so I have no idea what a "normal" place for a mole is on the body. As much as I know I shouldn't do it, I have been looking on the internet. Needless to say all of the pictures of melanoma look so different. Some of the moles listed as showing a melanoma look like a regular old mole to me! I am not sure why the picture isn't showing yet, but my hubby's mole looks like a regular mole that is light brown and slightly raised above the skin. It also looks like it has smooth borders ( not assymetrical). But like I said, not all of the melanoma pictures online look like the typical mole with ABCD characteristics. It just made me nervous that this is on his foot and most every website says that moles on the foot tend to be dangerous. I guess we will see what the doctor says....

Old 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
(female)

Karolina810 HB User

Hubby goes this Friday for his appointment..... any thoughts on the picture now that it has been approved?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Okay, now I can see the picture! Actually, that mole looks very similiar to the one I have on my own toe, and I think it's in the same place but on the opposite foot! Mine developed after my melanoma, which really freaked me out, but my dermatologist has looked at it repeatedly and has stated it is simply a mole. Your husband's may be as well. However, a doctor's opinion is always best.

Moles on the feet/toes are not in and of themselves dangerous, but melanoma in those locations can be. The reason being, there isn't a lot of "meat" in that location of the body. The same holds true for fingers. Normally, if one has melanoma on a toe or finger, excision requires an amputation of that extremity. That can be much more devastating than the chunk of skin I had removed from my knee and the 3" scar I'm living with. Also, because fingers and toes are so close together, it can be tougher to isolate a single area, and the chance of melanoma spreading is greater. It is much easier to isolate melanoma and remove all the cells when a doctor is dealing with a "meatier" part of the body, such as a leg, an arm, or the torso. (I know my verbal description is probably not all that delicate, and I apologize for that!)

Melanoma in and of itself is fairly rare, so take comfort there. This mole on your husband's toe is probably just a mole. Your husband can insist on a biopsy if his doctor doesn't do one, but biopsies on toes (and fingers) can be tricky sometimes, as well, because there isn't much skin.

Good luck - you're doing the right thing!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
(female)

nova98 HB User

Many years ago I had what looked like a mole removed from the tip of my toe but it wasn't a mole. I can't remember the name used for it. My derm referred me to a podiatrist to have it removed. It wasn't cancerous. All I can remember is that the podiatrist was very reassuring, and also, that when the painkiller wore off (I'd then gone to a meeting an hour out of town--not very bright of me), I had a very painful drive home that evening! It's best to always get things like this checked out asap (nip these potentially dangerous things in the bud, I say!!)

Closed Thread