It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

watabtme HB User
Dermatologist had 5 moles biopsied - should I be concerned?

I just got back from my dermatologist, who I haven't seen in probably 10 years. He gave me a full body check since I have a good amount of moles. He said everything looks fine and he doesn't see any problems, but there were 5 moles he wanted to biopsy (he says he is much more conservative than most doctors). I asked him if there was anything to be concerned about, and he assured me there wasn't and that he just likes to be cautious in case there are some bad cells in these moles, he wants to remove them now instead of waiting for something to form. From what I can tell, I've had these 5 moles forever and they are all flat and uniformly colored. 4 of them are less than the width of a pencil eraser, and one is a tiny bit larger - but again, I've had it for at least the last 15 years.

My question is, is he being completely honest with me? Is mole biopsy normal even for moles that generally look ok like he says they are? Also, if these biopsies do come back positive, is this something that could potentially be a big problem (ie, late stage, etc), even though there is no surface indication of any issues?

From what I can tell, he did a shave biopsy. I looked at the sites after I got out of the office, and it looks like all the pigment is gone from all 5 areas - all that's left is a pinkish / whitish area where the moles used to be. Is this a good sign?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Dermatologist had 5 moles biopsied - should I be concerned?

I hope you will feel assured when I say, your doctor has absolutely no reason (or right!) to keep "bad" information from you. If he said he was just being overly cautious and you should not be worried, please take him at his word.

blessings, Sue

The following user gives a hug of support to slenderella:
watabtme (03-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

Dawnwasbambi27 HB User

Hi there! From the sounds of it, you have nothing to worry about! Doctors often take samples - just to make sure -that they aren't the signs of Basal Cell Carcinoma - common skin cancer! Most people will tell you that it's usually yourself noticing - or someone close to you - that there is something strange about your mole! It is strange color, shape, crusty etc. So the fact that 1st the doctor said it was not a worry - is a good thing 2. that they weren't showing any of the signs of skin cancer! Even IF it is basal cell, it is the most treatable, and usually just taking the mole/lesion will take care of it! There are MANY treatments for Basal Cell so don't worry about it OK?!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
(male)

watabtme HB User

Thank you both for your replies! You are making me feel better

I was just very concerned that he did so many biopsies - it just makes me feel like there may be something wrong since he did so many, and he saw something in these 5 moles. Do most biopsies come back negative? Or is it a case where if a biopsy is done, there is likely something wrong?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

MommyK1 HB User

Trust your doc--even if a diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma (which I had on my forehead) comes from the doc, your doc will make a recommendation for your treatment. I had mine removed using "Mohs surgery" which is a removal process which checks the perimeter of the excised skin. You remain in the surgical area while the lab checks the removed portion of skin to be sure all edges are cancer free. If not, the surgeon removes more skin from the still affected region. No pain...no worries...a few stitches, and you're fine!!! Be well, and trust your doctor! Best, mommyk1

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

While it is a bit unusual to take 5 biopsies at once, it's not uncommon. If you know these moles have been there for quite some time, and you believe none of these moles have experienced any recent change in size, shape, dimension, you should be fine. Doctors vary in their outlook. Some like to take a "wait and see" approach, others prefer to remove and biopsy. Neither is better than the other, and it's more about what YOU as the patient feel comfortable with. A shave biopsy is less invasive than a punch biopsy, and usually heals faster.

I would say, from what you've described, you probably have very little to be concerned about.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
(male)

watabtme HB User

I just wanted to give an update and say that my results finally came in today and all 5 biopsies came back clean with no problems.

Chele and the rest, thank you so much for your answers, you really helped me stay calm And for anyone that is concerned about biopsies, if your doctor tells you not to worry, I guess you really shouldn't worry

Thanks again!

Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Magnificent!!! Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Sue

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
(female)

MommyK1 HB User

So glad for you! Thanks for letting us know.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

So, so, so HAPPY for you!! That is great news! Thank you for sharing that - always like to hear great news on here!

Closed Thread