It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

whitneyleanne30 HB User
Im 21 & Tan, i had 1 mole biopsied today..

Im whitney & im 21 years old, ive been tanning on and off for about 3 years now. ive never really paid any attention to my moles but i have noticed before this one mole very different from the other moles that i have ( i dont have very many) its big and tan and dark brown and nothing symetrical about it. its was a little bigger than a pencil eraser.. i dont know how long its been like this, my guess years but i went to the doctor and went to a surgeon today and he took it off to send it. i was thinking okay i get a little bandaid but no.. it was a pretty deep incision on my side and i got stitches and glue. he said he will have the results in about a week.. should i worry even if this mole had been there for years? and since he took the whole thing instead of half of it does that mean anything? :( ... needless to say i cancelled my tanning membership......

Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Im 21 & Tan, i had 1 mole biopsied today..

Hi Whitney and welcome!

Melanoma typically developes from a mole, which is why it is important for individuals who are at risk to observe any moles they have for changes. However, an odd shaped or oddly colored mole does not necessarily mean melanoma immediately, but it is best to get it checked out. When a doctor does a biopsy of a mole, they typically will remove the entire mole and the best way to do this is by a punch biopsy. When a punch biopsy is taken, which is deeper than a shave biopsy, there usually are stitches involved. That is normal.

Earlier this week, a study was released that while most instances of common cancers were on the decline, the instances of melanoma among young people (ages 20 - mid-30) is on the increase. This is a startling statistic, because it shows a lack of understanding on the dangers of skin cancer. It's a good thing you cancelled your tanning membership - I've never met a dermatologist yet who says any type of tanning bed is safe even in the most remote way. In fact, as some one who has had melanoma, one of the first things I'm asked when visiting a dermatologist for the first time is if I'd ever used a tanning bed. Thankfully, there are many self-tanners on the market that can give you a tanned look and still be good for your skin.

As far as worrying, I would try not to. Most biopsies come back negative. My motto is only to worry when you have something to worry about. But, please, do come back when you get your results and let us know!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
biopsy, melanoma, mole, skin cancer