HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Skin (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-skin/)
-   -   Skin check (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-skin/903457-skin-check.html)

firemom89 06-03-2012 08:23 AM

Skin check

I made an appt. with a derm. for my husband. He saw this guy for a check about 4 years ago, and everything was fine. When he got home from the appt. the other day, I asked him about it. He only took his shirt off. The guy looked at his arms, his chest and his back. He didn't look at his legs or his scalp. Is this normal? Or am I being overly picky? Thanks for any opinions that you might be able to give.

solofelix 06-03-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Skin check

Hi,
Not sure if this is normal or not. I have had moles removed from my face on four occasions and each time just my chest, back and arms aside from my face were checked.
Admittedly there is no moles on my upper body or legs or I would have asked to have them looked at as well.
If your hubby has any moles or skin trouble anywhere else that worries him he should ask your Dermo to check them for him.
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Chele60 06-04-2012 08:58 AM

First, what was the reason for the skin check? Has there been a history of skin cancer in your husband's past?

Second, I have had melanoma, so regular skin checks with a dermatologist are the norm for me. And I've never had a skin check like the one you've described. My skin checks are more, uh, revealing than a gyno exam in a lot ways! This might TMI for some people, but I am completely disrobed, and the dermatologist checks everywhere - underarms, groin area, between toes/fingers, behind knees, backside, behind ears, through the scalp. At least with a gyno exam, I have a sheet that covers most of my body through it! A skin check? Uh-uh! It's one of the reasons why I insist on a female derm.

Now, with this being said, I'm not sure if I am subjected to this type of skin check because I have been so lucky as to have had melanoma, or if this is how this dermatologist handles this situation. I will say this: even though it can be an ordeal to go through, I do feel much better afterward that she has seen every square inch of skin and nothing was hidden. (Literally!!)

Now, Basal and Squamous Cell Carcinomas usually develop were sun damage has happened (although there can be exceptions), melanoma can develop anywhere. Even places were the sun don't shine. This is why it is important to check one's skin all over and not just those places where one feels only the sun reaches or where moles are currently located. My melanoma developed independently, not from a mole that was already established.

firemom89 06-11-2012 08:18 AM

The reason for the skin check was mainly my piece of mind. Husband works outside a lot. Derm. told him he tans well and he shouldn't have any problems with skin cancer. He uses a large magnifying glass with light bulbs on each side and does a pretty quick scan. Since we haven't had any experience with other derms. I'm just concerned if whether this guy is thorough enough, or I need to just chill and assume he knows what he is doing.