It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
(female)

Bron405 HB User
Scared of skin cancer?

I have a mole that I've had since I was a kid, but it's started growing somewhat recently. It was brown when i was younger, but now the brown is raised and there is a pink/tannish brown border. Is this a sign of melanoma? It is not located in a spot that is hit by the sun when I go out. Any helpful posts will be greatly accepted, I'm not sure whether this is normal growth over time or if I should be worried.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User
Re: Scared of skin cancer?

I've heard that you should see a Dermatologist any time you have a mole which has changed, has different colors and irregular border) -the things you describe. This doesn't mean you have a Melanoma or any other type of skin cancer; its just better to be safe than sorry.

Me, myself, I'm a "pool rat" and while I know the sun is really, really bad for your skin, this seems to be the one activity I can still do with my friends - one by one, it seems I've had to give up everything else. I have back problems going back 30 years, Lupus, RA, Fibro and so many other conditions I'd get too depressed if I listed them all. I had the "talk" with my team of doctors, I had myself charted for moles and such, agreed to use their "recommended" sun block and am seen by a Dermatologist twice a year. I try to be responsible about how much time I spend in the sun.......however I'm 57 and grew up when it was fashionable to spend all day covered in Baby Oil and Iodine. Because they say most sun damage
happens when you are young, I'm already "cooked". So far I've been lucky.

Melanoma can kill you; you have to be worried about your mole to ask a Forum. Make an appointment with a Dermatologist - you will sleep better. jj

Last edited by 3red3red; 06-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Scared of skin cancer?

As stated, any time a mole you've had for a long period of time changes in any way, see a dermatologist. It could be absolutely nothing. Moles develope and change throughout our lifetimes. However, it is always best to get it checked out.

And, just a word, typically Basal and Squamous Cell Carcinomas can (though not always!) develop where "the sun shines." However, melanoma develops wherever it darn well pleases, and that can be in places that have never been witness to the sun! Skin cancers do not always need direct sunlight to develop - that is why when one does a skin check, the entire body is checked, not just the parts exposed to the sun.

Closed Thread