It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User
melanoma recurrance

hi everyone,
i have recently been diagnosed with a recurrence of melanoma. it has appeared in my groin area. my doctor here is sending me to md anderson in houston, texas. i dont know what the outcome will be. i would like to talk to someone that has had a recurrence with melanoma. what are my chances of survival? i had a mole removed in 1996 and it has returned to the inside of my body. could someone please contact me about this. and i would like to know of a chat room on the cancer site. i cant find one. also is there someone in college station, texas, with the same problem?
thank you.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: melanoma recurrance

I'm so sorry to hear this. MD Anderson has a wonderful reputation, and you are really heading into a facility that is renowned in the ability fight this most dreadful beast, so please try to keep positive. I personally have not had the experience you are are now undertaking, but know of people who have, and know it can be tremendously frustrating and frightening. There are places online where you can share, unfortunately, the guidelines here are so strict they prohibit posting the names and addresses of those sites here.

I did want to wish you the best and urge you to be positive. There continues to be many encouraging people and survivors out there to take inspiration from!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User

chele60,
thank you so much. i hope they can just take out my lymph node and thats it but im afraid that wont be the case. i am not afraid to die but i just dont want to go any time soon. it is i gods hands now. i wish i could get those websites because i need someone to talk to that has the same problem that i do. i did go to mrf and talked to someone there but its not enough. there isnt a support group here for melanoma. i am in college station, tx. i appreciate your input. thank you.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Please don't think that a recurrance of melanoma is an automatic death sentence. There are individuals who have had a recurrance of melanoma, have had treatment and gone on to live long lives. You have a lot going for you - MD Anderson is THE premier treatment center for cancer in the US. They are up to date on the latest treatments out there - and there are new treatments coming out all the time. You don't say what stage your recurrance is, but the first thing is to explore all of your options. I can understand this is a very scary time. MRF does have chat and forums to connect, though you might have to dig a bit. Lots of good people there and TONS of information.

Have you tried to find out from MD Anderson if they have support groups in the area? Perhaps the American Cancer Society might be able to connect you with groups in your area?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User

chele60,
i dont know what stage my cancer is. i have an appt on the 10th of july at md anderson. i hope you are right. i feel better knowing that its not a death sentence. i thought it was. when you have a recurrence, i thought it was the end. they dont have support groups in the college station, tx area. i have already called them. i know there are people here with it. i will call my cancer doctor and ask them if they can give someone my phone number. maybe they can do that. it does help to talk to someone with the same thing. yes i have registered with mrf and you are right. you have to dig a lot. thanks for your help chele60!

Last edited by catmandu1949; 06-19-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: mispelled name

The following user gives a hug of support to catmandu1949:
Chele60 (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I really wish you the best with this, and please let us know what you find out on the 10th. At times like this, we all need to encourage each other as best we can - even if we can only do it in the virtual world. Big, big hugs to you!!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User

thank you so much and i will let you know what i find out. prayers for me please and everyone else!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User

chele60,
i will be having surgery on the 8th of august in houston. i appreciate everything you have done. i will contact you when i get back to my daughters after surgery.
catmandu,
cathy

Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
(female)

catmandu1949 HB User

chele60,
well chele i got through my surgery ok. it was the worse thing i have ever gone through in my life. no they do not have any support groups in this area. i need help finding someone. i dont know what to do about it. i have called the acs and they have informed me that there is nothing in this area so i dont know what to do about that but i will figure something out. i am still going to md a lot for tests and appts. the drs are not sure what kind of treatment to give me at this time. maybe on the 3rd when i go back, they will let me know. anyway, im sorry i have just now written you back but its not easy to deal with or talk about. thanks for listening.
catmandu1949

Closed Thread