It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

TJ89 HB User
Understanding pathology results - Melanoma

Hi Everyone,

My wife was just diagnosed with a malignant melanoma spot on her arm. Here are the details of the pathology report:

Spitzoid
Breslow depth - 1.1mm (on the back it said this was a "maximum")
Non-ulcerated
Clark scale 4
Margins - I believe it indicated "clear and defined"

Can anyone help determine what the prognosis for this might be? The doctor said that this was a stage 1A, possibly 1B. She is going back tomorrow for wider excision to ensure they got everything. She also was recommended to get a lymph node biospy, however the issue is that she is 35 weeks pregnant, so she has to wait until after we have the baby due to the radioactive dye they use.

My question is - does anyone know how common a melanoma with these characteristics would be to have spread to the lymph nodes already? Does anyone have a link, or information to any "rough estimates" or percentage of cases that spread associated with the details above?

We are extremely worried and would appreciate any help or feedback anyone can provide at this point! Thank you in advance!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Understanding pathology results - Melanoma

Hello and welcome!

It's been a couple of weeks, so I do hope you receive this. The doctors will be able to know more about your wife's melanoma after her wide excision, but with the information given here her prognosis should be good. At a depth of 1.1mm, it's standard procedure to do a sentinal node biopsy - the docs do so for anything greater than 1mm. Keep in mind that 1mm is really, really, really thin, and the reason the docs want to do a SNB is to rule out any spreading. I've encountered individuals who had melanomas that were greater than 3mm, and the lymph nodes were not impacted. I also know the toughest part in all of this is waiting. When I was diagnosed with melanoma, I couldn't wait for the doctor to get that out of me! But the most important thing is for your wife to be delivered of a healthy baby.

By now your wife should have had her wide excision and probably should have had the results from that surgery. The surgeon should have been able to tell you two what the rate of spreading is (mitotic rate). That is a big indicator of whether the melanoma is very fast growing or more slow growing.

I know the panic that can set in with a diagnosis of melanoma. I was diagnosed in 2007 and the depth was .7mm. It is now 5 1/2 years later and so far there is no evidence of disease. You two will get through this! Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Chele60 For This Useful Post:
slenderella (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
(male)

TJ89 HB User
Re: Understanding pathology results - Melanoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chele60 View Post
Hello and welcome!

It's been a couple of weeks, so I do hope you receive this. The doctors will be able to know more about your wife's melanoma after her wide excision, but with the information given here her prognosis should be good. At a depth of 1.1mm, it's standard procedure to do a sentinal node biopsy - the docs do so for anything greater than 1mm. Keep in mind that 1mm is really, really, really thin, and the reason the docs want to do a SNB is to rule out any spreading. I've encountered individuals who had melanomas that were greater than 3mm, and the lymph nodes were not impacted. I also know the toughest part in all of this is waiting. When I was diagnosed with melanoma, I couldn't wait for the doctor to get that out of me! But the most important thing is for your wife to be delivered of a healthy baby.

By now your wife should have had her wide excision and probably should have had the results from that surgery. The surgeon should have been able to tell you two what the rate of spreading is (mitotic rate). That is a big indicator of whether the melanoma is very fast growing or more slow growing.

I know the panic that can set in with a diagnosis of melanoma. I was diagnosed in 2007 and the depth was .7mm. It is now 5 1/2 years later and so far there is no evidence of disease. You two will get through this! Good luck!
Hi

Thanks for the reply. The mitotic rate ended up being none identified. The doctor did the wle and said that all margins were completely clear. SNB is scheduled for 12/10. Keeping fingers crossed that all is well! Thanks again!

Closed Thread