It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

Monellie HB User
Red face Best basal cell carcinoma treatment

I have a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my collarbone which will need treatment. I was presented with two choices: cut and burn, or 6-weeks of chemotherapy cream. My brother has had many BCC's removed and he said that cutting is fine, but that burning leaves an itchy spot that doesn't go away.

Is cutting the best method for total removal?

If so, do have to have the burning procedure also?

Is there less scarring when using the cream?

Is the cream 100% effective?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these treatments?

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
Re: Best basal cell carcinoma treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monellie View Post
I have a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my collarbone which will need treatment. I was presented with two choices: cut and burn, or 6-weeks of chemotherapy cream. My brother has had many BCC's removed and he said that cutting is fine, but that burning leaves an itchy spot that doesn't go away.

Is cutting the best method for total removal?

If so, do have to have the burning procedure also?

Is there less scarring when using the cream?

Is the cream 100% effective?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these treatments?

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.
I had one "cut" off my neck 6 years ago. I have a 2 inch scar. Unfortunately, it came back in the same spot. I am scheduled to have it removed with a mohs procedure, where they remove 1 layer at a time. My Dr. wouldn't let me use the cream. She said it's mainly used for the elderly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I've had two basal cell cancers cut off. One was on my arm and one on my cheek under my eye. I never had anything burned after surgery. The doctor sent what she cut off to be biopsied and the margins came back clear. My dermatologist wasn't keen on using the cream. She said it would leave my skin irritated. I was amazed at the minimal scarring on my face. They took a picture and then designed the cut to blend in with the natural lines. I can't see the scar unless I really look close and then it's just a thin line. The cutting took a lot less time to heal, about 2 weeks, compared to 6 weeks of irritation using the cream.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

nyiaca12 HB User

I've had 6 BCCs. I've never heard of burning, or have I had the cream.

Getting it cut out worked fine for me. i had a small one, near my collar bone. It left a tiny scar, but I htink that's because the surgeon left it to heal on it's own (because it was small).

If you go to a Moh's surgeon they will be sure to get it all out without having to wait a week for the result.

Once you get it cut out, it's over.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

I had the Mohs yesterday, on a basal cell on my neck that came back 6 years later. It looked initially like 2 small dots, but the area was irritated after the initial biopsy. Well, this surgeon took a chunk the size of a quarter out of my neck. I had to wait 2 hours to get the all clear. Think he was not able to sew me back up, so I was sent off to a plastic surgeon, who squeezed me in. Thank goodness he has a good reputation. The nurses who assisted said he did a great job and I would be pleased.

I am NOT pleased that I didn't know the Mohs guy would take off so much. I thought Mohs meant taking off think layers. He showed it to me after....I wonder if he was thinking I could just live with it like that!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
(female)

nyiaca12 HB User

Good and bad of Mohs. They get it all, but you never know how much it will be! They won't stop until it's all clear.

When people hear skin, they don't realize it's the entire layer of skin.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiaca12 View Post
Good and bad of Mohs. They get it all, but you never know how much it will be! They won't stop until it's all clear.

When people hear skin, they don't realize it's the entire layer of skin.
I talked to a friend who I told about Mohs years ago. She said they took off a think layer off her nose, but now she has a small indentation. I am surprised it hasn't filled in by now. But, what do I know? Hopefully, this time my Basal is gone for good! Until the next one pops up!

Closed Thread