It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

Bette1957 HB User
Unhappy Recurring Basal Cell on nose! Petrfied! Please help calm my nerves

Basal Cell on the side of the nose. I've searched the internet for hours and days. And I've learned so much. Which helps ease things just a little. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding my exact situation. I have Recurring Basal Cell. 4 1/2 years ago it was found in the same spot and I chose to have it treated with radiation! Now it's back. And I know mohs is the right and only thing to do but when I had the radiation the Dr. said "IF" it comes back, and of course he didn't expect it would, but IF then it would be harder to work with the skin but not impossible! What does that mean? My surgery is January 17, 2012. Next Thursday. I'm taking zanax nightly to relax my mind and sleep. And I know the end result will probably be really really good. I just don't know when that is going to be. 6 months, a year, two years. How bad is the cutting going to be. How big.etc etc...reading out here has helped the most of all the sites I have found. But I go in and out with my nerves about it all. Scares me so much but I know I have no choice and have to get this out of my face. Has anyone had radiation first and then had it come back and then Mohs? Thank you all for listening. Bette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Recurring Basal Cell on nose! Petrfied! Please help calm my nerves

My mother had radiation.,Then a few years later it came back same place on her nose. she had MOHS.They removed a good size area.5 months later and unless you look close you'd never know it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

Bette1957 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenandcats View Post
My mother had radiation.,Then a few years later it came back same place on her nose. she had MOHS.They removed a good size area.5 months later and unless you look close you'd never know it.
Thank you for the reply. That helps a little. I know there is no way to know until it's done because each one is different. I'm so ready to just get it over with. However due to our possible bad weather here in Atlanta they have cancelled tomorrow and rescheduled for next Tuesday Jan. 22nd! So I have more waiting. But really just ready to get it over with and know exactly what I'm dealing with.
Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

janetsplanet HB User

Hey Bette1957, Good luck on your surgery tomorrow! I hope that everything will go smoothly. Please do keep us updated on your recovery. Sending prayers your way. -Janetsplanet

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
(female)

Bette1957 HB User

Thank you so much. I will post in the next day or two for sure. I'm ready to get it over with and finally know what I'm dealing with so I can start healing.

Last edited by Bette1957; 01-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
(female)

Bette1957 HB User
Smile Re: Recurring Basal Cell on nose! Petrfied! Please help calm my nerves

IT'S OVER! YIPPPIIIII..The anticipation was much worse then the actual event. I feel extremely lucky. It only took two cuts. I thought for sure it was going to be worse because it was recurring from four years ago after radiation. The Dr. actually believes it was not the same cancer but a cancer caused by the radiation treatment for the first one! All I know is it's gone and I'm not doing too bad. I'm following orders and icing every hour for today. Big bandage comes off tomorrow. I took pictures along the way because I wanted to see. The side of my nose did look like the internet pictures. A circle with deep red inside. Magically she sewed me up with a straight line down the side of my nose. And she uses stitches that dissolve both inside and out. So no stitch removal...She said in six months you won't even see it! I can take that. It was not easy feeling the cutting especially the sewing up part. But I got through it. I was happy I brought my ear buds and was listening to music while that was going on. Highly recommend that to anyone facing Moh's on their face. I think learning everything I could off the internet totally helped. Then I expected the worse case, for me would have been the flap over, and ended up with the best scenario. I wish everyone else speedy recoveries...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

Glad this is behind you. I had a basal recur on my neck---after more than 5 years. It was removed surgically the first time.This time I had the mohs, which is recommended for recurrent basal cell. I have seen mohs on noses where they weren't sewn up---I think you will be glad you did.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
(female)

Bette1957 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1652 View Post
Glad this is behind you. I had a basal recur on my neck---after more than 5 years. It was removed surgically the first time.This time I had the mohs, which is recommended for recurrent basal cell. I have seen mohs on noses where they weren't sewn up---I think you will be glad you did.
Very glad I did. Three weeks post op tomorrow. Unbelievably how well and fast I'm healing. Completely covers with regular makeup. Of course close up you can see the scars but over the next six months the redness will go away and I can see where I will have just a white line. I can live with that! Very happy that's all it is. If it happens again I will be much less stressed over it. Truly amazing how skin heals and quickly....I wish they let you post pictures out here. It's hard to believe it went from so bad to so good so quickly. I looked just like the internet pictures day of surgery. Hole in the side of my nose. But healed very quickly. Thank you.

Closed Thread