It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
(male)

Hayde HB User
Petrified with Anxiety

Hello everyone!

I'm an 18 year old boy living in Australia. So naturally, skin cancer is quite common. I've never been to a GP or dermatologist in my life, because I've never had any fears, concerns or scares until recently.
I'm rarely in the sun (I would maybe go out to the beach, recreation parks maybe once every 5 months), and when I am, i'm usually protected.
I have what looks like Dysplastic Nevus/Atypical Moles on my back, or in other words, multiple moles with odd characteristics. I believe I inherited these Atypical moles from my mother, who passed away in 2006 (her death was not cancer related).
None of these atypical moles have ever shown signs of Melanoma growth, or at least in my mind. They have never itched, bled, oozed nor changed shape and colour. Some of them have appeared within the past few years, but never raised a concern. Though, one of them was accidentally cut open (from a clumsy fall on concrete) a few years ago and bled a little - when it healed up, the mole didn't change in any characteristics; though, now it has a clear line passing through it, almost like a scar.

What is concerning me though, is that recently I noticed a swelling on my upper back, in between the shoulder and neck on the right hand side of my body. I wasn't sure what it was, so I just presumed it was a large pimple growing. When I gave it a bit of a squeeze, a clear liquid came out of it. After that, I left it alone and it soon died down within a few days (around 3 days), and left a scar. Before I noticed this, I was extremely worried about my moles, and was keeping a good eye on them. That's when this "lump" appeared. I began finding it hard to sleep, hard to eat and hard to concentrate; I was also feeling a minor fever - I suspect these symptoms to be caused from the Anxiety I am currently suffering.
This gave me the gut wrenching feeling I have a melanoma somewhere on my body, already progressed in stage 3, and I didn't even notice.

I've been keeping myself calm by doing a lot of research. Possibilities running through my head include:
1) As above, I have a melanoma that has progressed without me even noticing
2) An infection
4) A common cyst

I've organised to see a GP tomorrow about all my Dysplastic Nevi, and the occurrence of this... lump.

My question is, should I be as worried as I am? Are there any more possibilities about this lump? Should I not have been dumb and had my moles checked out earlier?
Thank you all in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread