It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
Pathology - Do I have Melanoma?

I went for a skin cancer check a couple of weeks ago, and the Doctor cut out something from my arm, he said it did not look like cancer, I got the results today and was referred to a Surgeon. My GP was not very helpful in answering if I have cancer and if I am in serious danger. The Surgeon appointment is in 7 days, so not too far off.

There are a a lot of big words and Google results all seem to have Melanoma Cancer in the search results, and knowing web searches I don't want to go reading things I don't fully understand.

Any Help Please the summary of the Pathology report is below.

Microscopic Examination
The excision show a Dysplastic Junctional Melanocytic Naevus with moderate cytological atypia. Occasional atypical melanocytes are noted in the intraepithelial layer not reaching the granular layer to suggest an in-situ component. There is no dermal mitosis present. Patchy lymphocytic infiltrate is seen in the dermis. Atypical junctional activity extends to approximately 0.5mm. The deep margin is 2mm away, Consideration for a wider extraction is recommended/

Results Summary
Shoulder: Severely Dysplastic Junctional Melanocytic Naevus just fallling short of in-situ Melanoma. Nearest Lateral Margin 0.5mm away.
Consideration for wider Excision is Highly Recommended.

Last edited by Jimmysyd; 02-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Pathology - Do I have Melanoma?

Hello! I am not a medical professional, but I did have a melanoma removed 6 years ago. From what this is stating - especially in the Results Summary - my thinking is that you had an atypical mole removed and your doctor is recommending a wide excision. The surgeon will look further at the pathology and let you know which way s/he thinks is best.

What does an atypical mole mean? Atypical moles are moles which may (operative word here is may) become cancerous at some point in the future. These moles could also very well remain just as they are for the remainder of your lifetime. And a secret? Every individual who has moles has at least one atypical mole on their body - that's how common they are. Now, some doctors will leave them alone and simply keep an eye on them and if they ever change, they will have them removed. Or, if already biopsied, they will simply leave the area alone. I've had a number of atypical moles removed as biopsies and have had no further attention to them.

Still other doctors, as a precaution, will elect to have the area excised to be certain the possibility of any melanoma cells are gone - even if there weren't any to begin with. The term "in-situ" in relation to melanoma, means a tumor is only in the outer layer of skin. This is typical staged at 0. You will note your summary states "just falling short of in-situ Melanoma." This would tell me your doctor feels you might be in a pre-cancerous condition. Some people panic over this, because they hear the word "cancer" in there. However, from what I understand, this is a condition that might become cancerous, or cancer may never materialize.

The important thing for you to do is to get all of your questions for the surgeon together and make certain you understand fully everything you will be told. Don't allow medical terms to baffle you. If you don't understand what is being said, say so. You will need to make decisions and it's best to be informed. Be your own best advocate!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User

Thanks for the feed back. Makes me feel better, Indeed when you see Melanoma anywhere in the report it makes you freak out.

Thanks again

Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

Want to concur with the reply you received. I had one of those on my ankle. They will want to make sure the margins are wide if they remove more tissue. I had mine removed 15 years ago and it didn't come back, unlike a basal I had removed 5 years ago. Melanoma runs in my family and appears in spots that never saw the sun!

Reply Reply