It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
(male)

Brock88 HB User
White spot on skin - should I be worried?

ey everyone, I'm an 18YO male and I have this one small white spot on my left hand:

[IMG]http://img849.**********.us/img849/3938/sk4i3m4.png[/IMG]

I feel a bit of pain when I press down on it with the tip of my fingernail. I'm not sure how long this has been there, but I'd say it's probably been two to three months (I knew it was there for a while but I never paid much attention to it.....until now).

Should I be worried?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
(male)

Hayde HB User
Re: White spot on skin - should I be worried?

I'm no expert, but that looks like a harmless wart!

Usually when you suspect something suspicious, you do the ABCDE method to determine if it's something serious.

A - Asymmetry. If you were to create an imaginary line in the middle of the lesion, and folded one side over, would they be aligned almost equally?
B - Border. Are the borders somewhat blurry, jagged, faded into the skin or uneven?
C - Color. Are the colors present in the lesion multiple?
D - Diameter. Is the lesion itself larger than 6mm?
E - Evolution. Is the lesion growing in shape, gaining new colors or changing in size?

If you answered yes to any of the above, you will want to see your doctor.
Note: Don't assume the worst, it is only better to be safe than sorry. I have a lesion on my back that has a significant red border around it, and after having it looked at precisely (I had a second opinion on this one!), it was a harmless mole.

Now here is what I think about your white spot. Remember, i'm no expert!
A - It looks like it's perfectly symmetrical.
B - The border seems to be a nice circular shape.
C - The color of the lesion is pure white, with no other colors present throughout the lesion itself.
D - It looks pretty small! Maybe about 2mm?
E - This is something you'll have to monitor yourself over the next few months. Take a ruler and measure it. Record the date, the color, the size and the shape of the lesion a notepad, a book, etc. Make sure you use the same lighting you used the first time to have accurate color readings. Every month repeat the process. If it seems to be changing, have it checked out.

Consider the possibility it could be something rather than cancer. It could be a mole, it could be a pimple, it could be a wart, it could be a skin tag. The possibilities are endless!

Though, do not take any chances with suspicious lesions, as the chance of them being serious is still at hand.

Wishing you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
(male)

Brock88 HB User
Re: White spot on skin - should I be worried?

Thanks for your very informative reply man! It's been about a week and a half since that picture was taken and my white spot is the same size, but there seems to be a dome covering it. I woke up this morning and this spot was hurting too and I don't know why.

Reply Reply