It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

wilkesbarre HB User
Antibiotics or Tetanus for Basal Cell Carcinoma?

Last tetanus shot: no later than 1999 or 2000.

A long time ago I could feel that there was something like a buried pimple on my face under the skin. I couldn't see it in the mirror. It was not red, or raised, or topped by a whitehead. I could only feel it when I washed my face. I tried to squeeze it out to get rid of it, but it was too buried. So the squeezing only got things temporarily inflamed and tightened any exit pore even more. The redness healed, but here and there I would try a few times to squeeze it out. For the most part I was unsuccessfull, except that I made a small scab that I could pick off and give the whole thing a bigger exit tunnel. I still didn't wholly get that thing emptied, only partially. (I know that you shouldn't pick.)

Anyway, I periodically played with it because it was bugging me and sometimes I might have been on a long drive back home and didn't have the cleanest hands.

Then it wouldn't heal, but I didn't have insurance. It wasn't even an eighth of an inch in diameter. I was dying to just go in and see a primary care doctor or dermatologist, get an antibiotic, and get things over with.

I DID finally get it to skin over, after a rigorous 5 days or so, scrubbing the hole with a q-tip full of antibiotic ointment 4 to 7 times daily. The seepage or pus kept forming under the skin though, and caused a small archipelago of pus, under the skin, around the original hole. This circling was pretty narrow.

After going hands off for months and months, I mistakenly brushed/wiped the area with a dirty hand when gardening one day. Then I was back to the mostly open situation, except now in an oval shape. This has gone on another couple of months.

Now I have insurance. Monday (5 days ago) I went to the dermatologist. The physician's assistant (I think she was) said that it looked like basal cell carcinoma and did a biopsy. It came back positive. In two days I have to go in for a consult - likely they will make an appointment to cut things out and sew it up.

Now it's too late (until the consult) to ask about antibiotics. I've been researching the connection on the internet. I read something called:

Cell-Wall-Deficient Bacteria as a Possible Cause of Basal Cell Carcinoma by Alan R. Cantwell, Jr. Should I try to ask the assistant or doctor if it would help to start a course of antibiotics first? Or get a tetanus shot? After I got that last tetanus shot long ago, for years I never had any problems with cuts and scratches, or pimples going crazy. I cut myself (mistakenly) and scratched myself often. But there was never a problem.

I followed the post-biopsy instructions, keeping the bandaid on for 24 hours and keeping it clean and covered with a thick layer of aquafor or something. For the first day or so, the hole was OK. Now it's just becoming like a huge version of what it was when it was small - never healing. Just starting to seep all of a sudden at least a few times a day. No scabbing over and no healing. Some coating starts to form, but no matter how careful I am, it just washes off in the shower.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply