It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

tetrimble HB User
Question Any stomach cancer survivors?

My mother (52 years old, just quit smoking since her diagnosis) was diagnosed three weeks ago with esophogial cancer. After additional testing today, she was told she actually has stomach cancer that has invaded a part of her esophogas and some of her lymph nodes. We won't have more information until later in the week, but she was informed she is Phase III.

I was concerned with survival rates when I thought it was esophogial cancer, but I'm more scared now to hear that it's stomach cancer. Are there any survivors out there that were in at least Phase III that can let me know what my mother should expect? Right now, we're not sure if she's going to have chemo and radiation first or have surgery first. I'd appreciate any information.

Thank you.

Last edited by tetrimble; 05-31-2005 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adding vitals

The following user gives a hug of support to tetrimble:
Juliegutz (09-04-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to tetrimble For This Useful Post:
Juliegutz (09-04-2011)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Any stomach cancer survivors?

They may remove part of her stomach, esophagus and lymph nodes. The procedure basically pulls the stomach up into the chest and connects it to the remaining part of the esophagus. This depends on the location of the cancer in her stomach. It is a major surgery to endure. I believe Lia813 one of our boards members has successfully undergone this surgery for esophageal cancer. A total gastrectomy removes the entire stomach and connects the esophagus to your small intestine. Chemo and radiation are also normal procedures for it. The prognosis for either cancer is not great. Don't let that get you down though there are people who has survived every type of cancer there is. My prayers are with your mother.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

MistyBlueEyes HB User

Sweetie the ultimate survival rate is in the hands of the Lord. I will include your mom in my prayers. Lia is a friend of mine. I will send her down and she can help you with info. I know its hard but try and take one day at a time. We are here for you and our love is with your mother. May she find strength and hope in Christ.

Blessings,
Barbara~

Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I was looking up statistics to try to give you an idea. Twenty percent of people live at least 5 years after a diagnosis of stage 3 stomach cancer. Barbara is right though, survival is in the hands of the Lord. Doctors often give grim prognosis for cancer but each person is different and their situation is unique. I looked up and read scores of stage 3 and 4 stomach cancer survivors. Even survivors whose stomach cancer had spread to lung and liver! Good luck.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
(female)

tetrimble HB User

Thank you for the information. I read that stomach cancers and esophogial cancers both have about the same 5-year survival rates. I was a little more encouraged when we thought it was the esophogas because we have a cousin that is a 13-year survivor. I don't know any stomach cancer survivors so my concerns are much greater.

I don't know which layer of the lining the cancer has invaded, but the tumor itself is at the base of the esophogas inside the stomach. Based on the information that was received today (please keep in mind that I was not at the hospital today, but the information was relayed to me through my dad), it would seem that the entire stomach will need to be taken.

I didn't know if there were any new advances within the past 5 years because those statistics are based on 5 years ago. I'm trying to keep positive.

Any and all information regarding procedures, those that are dealing with stomach cancer, anyone whose cancer is in remission, or family members of those dealing with or had it are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for sharing with me.

Last edited by tetrimble; 05-31-2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typos

Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
(female)

tetrimble HB User

I know the amazing power of prayer. It's truly a blessing to have so many people praying for my mother. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Tetrimble, I am so sorry to hear of that diagnosis and have no experience with stomach cancer. However I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer in Nov. 2004 and Esophageal Cancer stage 3 in Dec. 2004 and I'm still here ! The colon cancer was operated on at once and my sigmoid colon removed. They were to start chemo because it had spread to the lymph nodes and at that same time they discovered I had Esophageal cancer and since it is more agressive ahd the prognosis more dire they dropped the colon chemo and bagan immediate radiation and chemo on the esoph. My esoph. was so bad that it was inoperable so they had to shrink the tumors with rads and chemo for 6 weeks. It too had spread to my lymph nodes. I had the surgery whereby they cut out my entire diseased esoph. and pulled my stomach up and sewed the top part of it to my throat and it is my new esoph. My stomach is now behind my breasts. I believe they can make a new esoph. out of some plastic pipe or tubing as well if they don't have the stomach to work with . Now about stomach cancer I don't know. I am now in chemo for the colon cancer that we had to ignore with the esoph. trouble hit. It is a hard ole road but I soldier on. Got to. Let me know if I can help further and my very best wishes to you and your Granddad. Lia.........PS.......Oh and my cancers had not metastisized they were both primary cancers.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Tetrimble, I am sorry have typed " your granddad " instead of " your mother". Don't ask me where my mind is , I think I have chemo brain. Sorry . Lia

Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
(female)

tetrimble HB User

Lia,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's wonderful to hear of survivors. It helps give me strength to be stronger for my mom.

Tawnya

Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Veteran

Lia813 HB User

You are welcome Tawnya. I will not tell you that this road has been easy , but it is doable . And I am still doing it. I do not intend to die from either of my primary cancers anytime soon. Your mother has to get the fight in her , she needs to get mad at these cancers and tackle them head on. If not she'll get depressed. Depression is anger turned inward. Just my opinion here , but it has helped me to cope with all this . Not to worry your mom can do it. Lia

Old 06-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
(female)

Lynn0105 HB User

Hi, my mother-in-law has stomach cancer. She was diagnosed early in January 05. They said the extent of her cancer.. was not good at all and she was at a level III. Gave her 6 months to live. They went in to do surgery to 'remove' the cancer, etc... and realized there was much more involved and that other organs were involved. Surgery involving removing the stomach, etc... as has been described in a few posts above mine... would be necessary; however, they did not feel she'd make it through. Therefore, they didn't do the surgery.

We brought her to our town to get her the best possible treatments, etc... The Dr's here were much more optomistic. She completed 4 round of chemo thus far. After her last scan, they said that the tumor was so large before, it looked like it was growing on her other organs... but it has significantly decreased... and apparently now they say the cancer was just touching them and they aren't 'really' involved. So we are talking about having this surgery some point in July, since she has been stronger. (Been on a feeding tube since her 1st surgery, late Jan. which helps get in all her daily nutrients, etc..) We are hoping and praying that she is strong enough. The Dr's were are saying things look good and she does too.

These chemo treatments have truly made her feel really good. Very remarkable and very promising! It's when the rounds are complete. She's been on the chemo...14 days on and 1 to 2 weeks off between. When she's off the chemo, she has some days that she doesnt feel so good, I guess her body is re-adjusting.

However, her last treatment ended at the end of last week. She has been downhill ever since. Well, this morning she was in so much pain, she couldn't understand what we were saying to her and she was incoherent w/ her responses. She is now in the hospital and things dont look good. I just dont understand what happenned... she was doing so good. I went shopping w/ her this weekend... always try to get her out of the house whenever she feels up to it, movies, etc...

I just wanted you to know you are not alone and STAY POSITIVE!

If you get more information about this surgery or anything, please share w/ me? I just got a call from the hospital, as I'm typing this... she doesn't even know her sister's name or my husband... (her son).

And just to throw this in there, we have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old... or I wouldn't be here typing... i'd be in the hospital too.

I am sorry I

Old 06-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #12
(female)

tetrimble HB User

Lynn,

I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Just keep the faith. My mother has yet to start her treatments. She just had a stent put in 2 days ago. It didn't take well and she was admitted to the hospital yesterday. We're hoping she is able to go home today. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but she's been upgraded from stage 3 to stage 4 and her tumor is in the upper portion of the stomach. Her tumor has also doubled in size in just one week.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

I will add your mother-in-law to my prayers.

Tawnya

Closed Thread