It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
(female)

Mom2Novalee HB User
24 and just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer

Hi, I'm 24 and was just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer that has spread to my liver. I also have a grapefruit size tumor on my ovary. It still seems like some dream. My family is being amazing, taking care of everything for me and my friends are just wonderful. Everyone tells me all I have to worry about is getting better but it's so hard. I havent been able to find anyone who's survived this. I just need to know I have a 1% chance cause I'm ready to fight and be that one percent. It just seems hopelness at times. Im scared. Im not ready to die. My daughter would be an orpha and Ill be damned to let that happen. I just need some hope.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mom2Novalee:
jacq42 (07-11-2011)
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #2

MySonChris HB User
Re: 24 and just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer

I am so sorry about your diagnosis. You already have the most important factor to fight this cancer and that is determination to beat it! I will pray for you and your daughter and know you have people here who care and are here for you. God bless you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Mom,
The cir***stances are a bit different, but let me tell you about my mother. She was diagnosed in 1985 with 3rd stage breast cancer. The doctors wouldn't give a "time prognosis", but they said it wasn't good. Mom cried herself to sleep that night, but when she woke up the next morning she said, "I'm not ready to go and, damn it, I'm NOT going!"

She lived another 8 1/2 years. She had many treatments, but she worked full time and hardly missed a day of work, despite 3-4 complete chemotherapies (5-6 months each time) and three courses of radiation treatment (5 weeks each time.) She lived a full life and was only really sick the last 3 months.

Her oncologist (who is now my oncologist) told me recently that when he first met Mom, he didn't think she would live another six months!

So, don't let the statistics get you down. I can only imagine how horribly scary this is for you, but make up your mind you're going to fight it in any way you can...chemo, radiation, alternative medicine, prayer...a combination of ALL those things may accomplish miracles, and surely you are deserving of a miracle, and so is your child.

Ruth

Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Novalee
Hi, I'm 24 and was just diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer that has spread to my liver. I also have a grapefruit size tumor on my ovary. It still seems like some dream. My family is being amazing, taking care of everything for me and my friends are just wonderful. Everyone tells me all I have to worry about is getting better but it's so hard. I havent been able to find anyone who's survived this. I just need to know I have a 1% chance cause I'm ready to fight and be that one percent. It just seems hopelness at times. Im scared. Im not ready to die. My daughter would be an orpha and Ill be damned to let that happen. I just need some hope.

Hi mom2

It is great to see you wanting to fight so hard. i want to tell you about my husband who was diagnosed in April 2003 with Bowel Cancer stage 4. Before he left hospital following his bowel resection he was told that the tumors on his liver were inoperable. He was only 44 at the time. His medical team wanted him to try an aggressive chemotherapy treatment to try and shrink the tumors enough to allow them to operate. After 3 months of chemo it worked and he had a liver resection where they took out about 60% of his liver. He followed that with more chemo and radiotherapy. In all, the treatments took 13 months out of his life but has given him his life.

He is now a stage 4 survivor of 2 years and 9 months and counting.

Good luck to you in your battle.
ktee

Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

Tamaralynn HB User

I'm so sorry to hear - my prayers are with you.

What were your first symptoms that made you go see the doctor in the first place? (I hate to ask you such a personal question, but I've been having probelms with my stomach for a few months and the doctors just say that I'm not eating properly - yet I have.) I've been sick almost every sunday/Monday of each week and my boss is already threatening to fire me because I'm missing work.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

MariaSue HB User

Hello Tamaralynn,

I have also been sick every day now for a few months with stomach problems and pain. I can't eat and have diarrea every day. What are your symptoms.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

stomachcancer HB User

My mother was recently diagnozed with stomach cancer that has spread to her spleen and abdomen. She has been on a trial study which has stopped or slowed the tumor greatly. I recommend asking about trial studies-- try whatever you can! Don't lose HOPE!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

Mom2Novalee HB User
Exclamation Re: 24 and just diagnosed... UPDATE!

Hi everyone, I've been so busy that I havent had a chance to say my good news...well as good as it could be... when the stains came back it said that the form of cancer I had was carcinoid tumors... very slow growing tumors. They originate in the abdomen but have entwined themselves in my liver (inoperable) and pelvic area. Things are going well after another 2 week stay in a better hospital (hell) that saved my life. They are treating me with sandostatin shots 3x daily and a long lasting one every 28 days. I just had my second long lasting one yesterday so today I'm not feeling so well but I'm alive and thats whats important!
For those that wanted to know about their own symptoms... if you have chronic diahrea, hot flashes, redness that comes and goes on your face and neck, fatigue, weight loss without trying or a change in appetite dont let the dr tell you its IBS or anything like that... insist on a CT scan or do what I did and go straight to the ER. Dont back down!!!! Time is your most valuable weapon against cancer!
Feel free to email me [email]REMOVED[/email].

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-14-2006 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement.

Closed Thread