It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
(female)

tanyalynne71 HB User
Question Stage 4 Stomach Cancer....nutritional help

Hello...
My name is Tanya and I am writing in regards to my mother-in-law.
She was diagnosed with Stage 4 Stomach Cancer 2 days before Christmas 2006.
Only symptoms she had that came outta no where were loss of appetite, getting full quickly when she did eat and she developed a lump (size of a golf ball) on her stomach.
Here it is 10 months later and she has gone through so much...chemotherapy that actually shrunk and got rid of what had spread to the liver and just recently radiation that they said didnt do anything. She has gone from 125 lbs (she's 5'1) to, as of yesterday 64lbs. She is all bones and it is so very sad to see her this way.
I am here because I am hoping someone can give me any advice on what to feed her. She can only have things that are puried...and talk about picky?..She tops the list!..LOL
The doctor just told my husband that they cannot give her anymore chemo until she gains weight. This tumor in her stomach is very aggressive. At first the doctor actually said there was nothing more she could do for her...but my husband then talked to her and said PLEASE there has to be something, to which she said that she needed to gain weight.
So right now she basically eats...mashed potatoes, jello and vanilla ice cream...and they have been putting weight gainer in everything they give her. It's very hard for her to eat alot of things because of the sores in her mouth due to chemo.
This is our only hope right now...food...If someoen can possible give me some ideas? While typing this I actually thought about sweet potatoes with butter....she loves them...So I will be making them...but any other ideas?

Thanks so much for any answers in advance.

PS...I have heard alot of horror stories about stomach cancer being very painful...thankfully she has had NO pain...other than bone pain due to sitting and laying all of the time...no cushion for her bones since she lost so much weight. I think this is why we have so much hope for her right now because she isnt in any pain...Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
(male)

morphiii HB User
Re: Stage 4 Stomach Cancer....nutritional help

Dear tanyalynne,

Have you ever tried Ensure? It is in liquid form and very nutritious. Try getting her to eat a lot of small meals frequently. Drink a lot of juices, soda if she likes it.

As for he mouth, ask her doctors for something called magic mouthwash. It has some lidocaine and some antibiotic in it that would make her eating easier.

My prayers are with you and your mother in law.

Last edited by morphiii; 10-26-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

derkin HB User

also I she should try good quality and variety of antioxidents
Co Q 10 and shark cartiledge
essaic
astragulus
ashwaganda
burdock root
folic acid
Vitamin C

Last edited by moderator2; 11-10-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

katrina25 HB User

Call you local Cancer Center and talk to the nutritionist. I have done that several times, and they have good advice. I was having trouble losing so much weight and she told me several things that I could order that had as much as 580 calories per drink. One of them is the carnation breakfast. Not the kind you can buy in a store, this has to be ordered. Good luck my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
(female)

mac7707 HB User

My husband also had stomach cancer and getting enough nutrition is one of the biggest challenges. Some of the suggestions like Boost and Enusre are good suggestions. They come in higher calorie forms so read the labels. I would buy the Boost Plus as it had more calories than the regular. The nutritionist would suggest adding powdered milk in addition to regular milk for soups for example. Other suggestions were hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt, pudding with extra powdered milk in it to make it richer or make the pudding with half and half. In short - if it appeals to her - make it for her - as getting food in her is key. Her oncologist is probably doing a CBC blood test (complete blood count). You may want to talk with him/her about her protein levels and make sure she has some protein foods as well (scrambled eggs as a suggestion - add cheese on top if she likes for more calories). Turkey gravy on mashed potato for Thanksgiving and if she will let you, you can always finely chop the tukey - puree it in the blender/food processor with the gravy to add protein to her meal.

With the weight loss, sitting does become painful as they have no muscle to sit on - try a square of memory foam or egg crate type foam in a pillow case to sit on and maybe for herback as well. If she isn't moving too much watch out for pressure sores at the base of her spine etc. because there is no "padding" on her she will be more apt to get the sores than a larger person (the skin wrinkles over).

I saw someone posted about magic mouthwash. It works for the mouth sores - it's a combination of lidocaine and antacids which numbs the mouth and throat and can help her eat and swalow food.

If she does start having pain immediately ask the doctor for pain meds. They have a lot of different types to help - and the pain will disrupt her eating so it's important to control it if it should start.

I pray that she gets better - it's a horrible cancer. Best wishes.

Closed Thread