It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

MuchLikeFalling HB User
Stomach cancer

My grandma has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. The doctors went to do surgery on her but when they opened her up they saw that the cancer already spread to outside her stomach and they closed her back up. That was 4 months ago.

My grandma refused chemo and she is getting really sick these days. She throws up alot, especially at night. Last night she trew up till 5 in the morning, she gets pain and then trows up bile. We try to get her to eat something, but most of the time she just pukes it back. She has gotten so weak that she can't even stand on her own. Her feet are very swollen. There are nurses that come see her everyday, but all they give her is IV and some medicine for the throwing up. But the medicine doesn't seem to work. Everyday she gets worse and throws up more, although she doesn't want to go to a hospital. I don't know what to do. I'd like some advice on what to do to stop her puking.

The following user gives a hug of support to MuchLikeFalling:
KittyMunden (11-14-2011)
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
(male)

goodone HB User
Re: Stomach cancer

I feel so sorry for her. God bless her.

Well, if she was diagnosed with stomach cancer, and doctors saw that it has spread outside the stomach, there would be very little they could do about it. The medicine doctors would suggest will only try to reduce the pain and effects this tumor causes.

So I think that you need to invite a doctor if she does not want to go to hospital and she needs some medicals that decreases her pain a bit. For treatment, I do not think chemo or operation will do much since it has spread outside stomach, but my opinion means nothing -- the doctor who diagnosed her can tell you whether receiving treatment will help or not.

I see that we try to be side-by-side with her these days. Offer her support and some medicals that put pain off a bit, and pray for her the best..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

mac7707 HB User

My husband had stage 4 stomach cancer which had spread to his intestines and they were unable to treat him. He also threw up bile as the cancer had caused a bowel obstruction so food could not go down. They inserted a nasal gastric (NG) tube down his nose which kept him from constantly vomiting. He also had an IV for a period of time. The NG tube and IV where both done at home with me as the caregiver and hospice support. Ask your nurses if that would help her. She will not be able to eat but at this point the food is not staying down anyways. For my husband it helped out and gave him comfort and made the last days easier. At this point it's all about comfort for her and for the family not to have to watch her vomiting and being uncomfortable.

Best wishes - I hope this may help you all and I'll keep you in my prayers.

mac

Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

fromky HB User

Sorry to hear that doctors are saying there is no treatment for stomach cancer thats has moved outside the stomach. My husband had stomach cancer, and has now been in remission for 15 months. with them removing his stomach , spleen 17 lymphnodes and a portion of his colon and 24 chemo treatment of 5 fu. The doctor gave him an estimated time of 1 year to live. but with the doctors and the grace of god it has nearly been 2 years now so never give up hope and prayers.

Last edited by fromky; 04-15-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
(female)

fromky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromky View Post
Sorry to hear that doctors are saying there is no treatment for stomach cancer thats has moved outside the stomach. My husband had stomach cancer, and has now been in remission for 15 months. with them removing his stomach , spleen 17 lymphnodes and a portion of his colon and 24 chemo treatment of 5 fu. The doctor gave him an estimated time of 1 year to live. but with the doctors and the grace of god it has nearly been 2 years now so never give up hope and prayers.

Last edited by fromky; 04-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

fromky HB User

God Bless All of you who are dealing with stomach cancer it not only affects the one who has it but everyone around them and their fear of dying from the cancer, is enough to keep you in tears, and then you have to help them keep a positive attitude that the cancer is gonna go into remission, i helped my husband through every fear and tear that he had. my fear was that he was gonna starve to death do to not eating from the chemo.he got down to 104 # but now back up to 130. Keeping him positive and keeping him mobile was my main 2 concerns. he had his surgery and in 5 days he came home from the hospital and in another 5 days he was going to visit relatives. I never once gave him the opportunity to take the bed. I kept him going and active. and he now looks at me and says you just would let me give up thank you. not to say he is pain free, I can live with that , I still have him.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
(female)

ren77 HB User

Read your meesage-glad to hear that everthing seems well and go0d.Myhusband too has gastric ca but we have been told that it has gone to far -they have given us a time line of up jto 5months. I have been taking care of him at hom but right now he is in the hospital. Did your spouse need lots of bood transfusions? Mine has had 10 in the last 2 wks-he still can swallow his meds, no pain but get sick to stomach. He is just getting over an infection. Did your spouse have serve mood swings-where you took the brunt of everthing? My support system is by phone as we just moved here and I haven't had a chance jto make my own circle of frineds. Sorry fro rambling-glad the angels are with you

Closed Thread