It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

boroasis HB User
Bit worried about black stool, can anyone help?

Sorry if this is around anybodys dinner time!

Last night i noticed my stool was part black/part brown. It is a solid stool mainly brown with kind of largish lumps of black mixed in. I didn't think much of it and figured it would go away. I went again this morning and didn't notice any black but then again tonight i have been and it was about half black/half brown again. I have had stomach issues for a good few years now, i suffered from diarrhoea coupled with a crampy stomach quite bad a few years ago and was initially diagnosed with IBS, after not responding to Mebeverine and becoming frustrated i went to see a woman who recommended having colonic irrigation which i did and i have had at 3 month intervals ever since as it seemed to really help. I pretty much now have "normal" bowel movements except for the odd occasion. When i do suffer with dirrahoea now i take Imodium or a less strong anti diarrhoea tablet but i haven't taken any of this for a good few weeks now. At one point though i was pretty much taking Imodium anytime i went out so i didn't get caught short but this has not been the case recently. My bowel movements have been pretty normal for the last couple of weeks which is why i find this a bit strange and worrying. I am not taking any new vitimins/supplements to what i already take and have taken for a long time (pysllium husks, vitimin b-50, multi vit which doesn't contain iron, flaxseed and milk thistle) and i have not eaten the foods that can turn your stool black or taken iron tablets or pepto bismol or anything like that and the last time i drank alcohol was 6 nights ago. Apart from the black in the stool i have no other symptoms to speak of. I have no pain that i have noticed, i am not losing weight - infact i have put a fair bit of weight on recently. I do have tiny spots of bright red blood on the toilet paper after passing a large solid stool sometimes but this has been the case for as long as i can remember so this has never concerned me. I am a 29 year old male with no health problems that i know of although i am overweight.

Should i be worried about this or is it something that is normal(ish) and could sort itself out? My Mum reckoned if it was blood then the whole stool would be black, is this right? Anyway thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
(male)

boroasis HB User
Re: Bit worried about black stool, can anyone help?

I should also maybe add that i suffer from heartburn maybe a couple of times a week and i have done since my late teens although probably not as bad now as it once was.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

In general digested blood in the stool makes the entire stool some form of black, not just areas of the stool.

There is also a very foul distenctive odor of a bloody stool (black)

I personally would not take scheduled colonic irrigation, your body can become dependent on them. They can cause more problems then they help

Pup

Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
(male)

boroasis HB User

Thanks for that, the last few days things seem to be back to normal (touch wood). And thanks for that advice about the colonic irrigation, i wasn't aware of that, i got an appointment booked for a session early next week but i shall make that one my last, at least until i need it again, if ever!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
(female)

chatty kathy HB User

perhaps you could contact your physician and have your stool checked for occult (hidden) blood just so you know what you're dealing with. your physician could then determine whether you need further tests. for instance, colonic polyps can bleed if they become irritated/inflamed (colonic cleansing could potentially irritate polyps).

the spots of blood that you mention occasionally seeing when you wipe could be due to hemorrhoids, but could also be due to something more serious.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
(male)

boroasis HB User

posted in error

Last edited by boroasis; 12-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
(male)

boroasis HB User

Everything has been normal for over a week now so i'm feeling much more relaxed about it....although i will keep an eye on it, i skipped my last colonic irrgation session aswell!

Regarding the blood on the tissue, as i said that's been the same for literally aslong as i can remember, years and years and years! It happens pretty infrequently aswell. I reckon if that was anything "bad" i would know about it by now!

Thanks for the advice though, i'll bear it in mind if things go back to being "not normal"!

Closed Thread