It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Esophogeal and Stomach cancer newly diagnosed

My husband was just diagnosed with esophogeal and gastric cancer. The esophogeal was an adenocarcinoma low grade( what does that mean?) but is in the lower 1/3 of esophagus. the stomach cancer is located in cardiac and fundus regions. He is 66 and has been proactive with annual physicals, skin cancer screenings, has had 3 colonoscopies since age 50( small polyps removed). He's had chest x-rays as part of work related asbestos exposure and was clean.... symptoms appeared a couple of months ago in November. He thought it was related to a new medication, then was put on Prilosec and told to give it time to work. He does have a history of chewing tobacco, but has not chewed for approximately 5-6 years. He chewed for approximately 10 years after quitting smoking. He's had EGD and a CT. Is scheduled to start chemo in 4 days....needs to have a liver biopsy in 3 days to see if a spot is cancer or not. The gastroenterologist oncologist said he does not think my husband's condition is curable, but it is not hopeless and is morst concerned about the spot on the liver. This is something we didn't expect....thought the symptoms would be less vague especially since he has been in pretty good health previously. He now gets full quickly and with the esophogeal tumor, has problems with swallowing and can only have soft diet as there appears to be a stricture. Looking for some hope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
(female)

MrsMary HB User
Smile Re: Esophogeal and Stomach cancer newly diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taimse View Post
My husband was just diagnosed with esophogeal and gastric cancer. The esophogeal was an adenocarcinoma low grade( what does that mean?) but is in the lower 1/3 of esophagus. the stomach cancer is located in cardiac and fundus regions. He is 66 and has been proactive with annual physicals, skin cancer screenings, has had 3 colonoscopies since age 50( small polyps removed). He's had chest x-rays as part of work related asbestos exposure and was clean.... symptoms appeared a couple of months ago in November. He thought it was related to a new medication, then was put on Prilosec and told to give it time to work. He does have a history of chewing tobacco, but has not chewed for approximately 5-6 years. He chewed for approximately 10 years after quitting smoking. He's had EGD and a CT. Is scheduled to start chemo in 4 days....needs to have a liver biopsy in 3 days to see if a spot is cancer or not. The gastroenterologist oncologist said he does not think my husband's condition is curable, but it is not hopeless and is morst concerned about the spot on the liver. This is something we didn't expect....thought the symptoms would be less vague especially since he has been in pretty good health previously. He now gets full quickly and with the esophogeal tumor, has problems with swallowing and can only have soft diet as there appears to be a stricture. Looking for some hope.
I was diagnosed with stomach cancer in late December. It is certainly scary; the unknown drives me crazy. I had my first chemo treatment on Monday; so far so good. I guess the side effects are based on the drugs they use for the chemo. My side effects have been pretty mild, so far. A little nausea; they gave me tons of drugs to fight it. I have not thrown up. I have been extremely tired and sleepy and have had a mild headache. The worst has been the tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. The tingling is aggravated by cold or by touching metal. The physician recommended wearing gloves--yes, inside or outside the house. It does help; but it rather aggravating. My next treament is scheduled for the 27th. After a third treatment, they will be evaluating whether or not they can do surgery to remove my stomach. Then there will be more chemo. My only advice is to take one day at a time; hope for the best rather than the worst. Please stay in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User
Re: Esophogeal and Stomach cancer newly diagnosed

My husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer last week. It was found when they did an endoscopy and took biopies. He has had a pet scan and was told that the tumor (malignant) does not look like it has spread outside the stomach. We go on Tues. to have a Cat Scan (with/without dye). This will show things a little more clearly and if cancer has spread to other areas. We are scheduled for surgery on Feb.28. First the surgeon will insert a probe (laproscopic) to look around. If he sees no more cancer and if all the previous tests were correct, he will remove at least 60% of his stomach. However, if he sees more cancer than was shown on tests, he will close up the small incision and send him for chemo. Scary, to say the least. Any of you reading this, have you had your stomach removed. What can we expect after surgery? At this point we are really hopeful that cancer is contained in his stomach and that all he will lose is part of his stomach. Chemo and or radiation may be needed after surgery. It is to be determined.

The following user gives a hug of support to Buzzy523:
MrsMary (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

MrsMary HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy523 View Post
My husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer last week. It was found when they did an endoscopy and took biopies. He has had a pet scan and was told that the tumor (malignant) does not look like it has spread outside the stomach. We go on Tues. to have a Cat Scan (with/without dye). This will show things a little more clearly and if cancer has spread to other areas. We are scheduled for surgery on Feb.28. First the surgeon will insert a probe (laproscopic) to look around. If he sees no more cancer and if all the previous tests were correct, he will remove at least 60% of his stomach. However, if he sees more cancer than was shown on tests, he will close up the small incision and send him for chemo. Scary, to say the least. Any of you reading this, have you had your stomach removed. What can we expect after surgery? At this point we are really hopeful that cancer is contained in his stomach and that all he will lose is part of his stomach. Chemo and or radiation may be needed after surgery. It is to be determined.
I am very sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. I wish I had something new to share. I am still doing chemo and will not have surgery until late April. Please keep me posted; if you have any questions that I might be able to answer please let me know., Thinking of you and your family.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Update. My husband has had 22 chemo treatments. The onocology nurse calls him her poster patient because he is still responding well. He is participating in a Mayo study which is promising. Esophogeal/stomach tumor has shrunk down to a "nodule" in esophogeal/stomach junction and spot on liver has shrunk down to a little less than 3 mm from original size of around 180 mm. He does not like the oxaliplatin due to cold sensitivity and neuropathy side effects. Taimse.

Last edited by Taimse; 12-26-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Closed Thread