It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

brendaelk HB User
husband surgery a success!!

My husband had a gastric tumor (adenocarcinoma) and they took almost all stomach and 3/4 esphogus this last Friday, It was a 8 hour surgery. He was fine saturday but that evening after moving him out of Extensive care they could not control the pain real well and they thought the fluid in the chest tube was a little too dark, so Monday morning they took him back to operating room but surgeon looked down with camera and saw no tear or leak so they did not have to reopen. There is a little time they can repair a leak or tear before healing begins. The pathology test came back today and the tumor is all gone, they took 14 lymph nodes and only 4 had cancer in them and they are now gone!! So fantastic news!! It is quite a healing process but hopefully he will be home next week sometime!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User
Re: husband surgery a success!!

My husband had 3/4 stomach removed and two lymph nodes were cancerous. This was done 9 weeks ago. Recovery has been difficult. He got a blockage in his small intestine and was rushed to our local hospital. A week later his incision sprang a hole and a huge infection came out. Now after 4 weeks on antibiotics the wound is still oozing. This has put his chemo/radiation on hold. Was your husband advised to have chemo/radiation? Eating and drinking is a bit tricky. Very hard. Just remember to nibble nibble nibble and sip sip sip and do it often. Your husband will learn what he can tolerate. Let me know how things are going for him. Be strong and patient. This is a trying time for us all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy523 View Post
My husband had 3/4 stomach removed and two lymph nodes were cancerous. This was done 9 weeks ago. Recovery has been difficult. He got a blockage in his small intestine and was rushed to our local hospital. A week later his incision sprang a hole and a huge infection came out. Now after 4 weeks on antibiotics the wound is still oozing. This has put his chemo/radiation on hold. Was your husband advised to have chemo/radiation? Eating and drinking is a bit tricky. Very hard. Just remember to nibble nibble nibble and sip sip sip and do it often. Your husband will learn what he can tolerate. Let me know how things are going for him. Be strong and patient. This is a trying time for us all.
Hi there!
Thanks for your reply! Yes Denny (my hubby) has had a rough go so far too, they even took him back to the operating room thinking he might have a leak because the tube flo looked a little to dark, but thank goodness after looking down with the camera they could not find a tear or leak so they did not reopen. I was so thankful for that good news. My husband is 71 years old and also is dealing with some COPD. He quit smoking 4 years ago but it still has limited lung capacity. I am sorry your husband has had complications, you know I was thinking about what you had said about his complications that made me get the word from his surgeon that he would look first and not open again unless he was positively sure there was no other way to have the best outcome. My husband is in Northwestern Hospital in Chicago and has a great surgeon Albert deHoyos. He is a instructor and world renown esophagus surgeon. He also had a great stomach surgeon, Dr. Bentram. It takes both in surgery and it was a long one. I hope your husband will get better real soon, you both are in my prayers. Yes they mentioned a round of chemo/radiation together after he reagains his strength. I am not looking forward to that, but they say it is not as agressive as the previous chemo. He had a heart attack and needed a stent on the first round of chemo and then the second round he got pnuemonia! But I am glad it was agressive because it really shrunk the tumor so that helped in surgery and just 4 lymph nodes was cancerous. You never know how the surgery is so taxing on the body until you see them go through it. I never realized all the tubes coming out of him and how painful it was even with the epidural in for several days. He got one out yesterday along with his catheter so he is coming along so far. I will be thinking of you both.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Just got a report from my husband and they told him his white blood cell count went up two points, IS that enough to mean an infection somewhere?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Hi Brenda, My husbands white blood cell count went way up and nothing was done, except to wait and watch and it came down. My husband, Ricie is 66 and we went to Mt.Sinai Hospital in New York City. Thought we had the best surgeon, but now with all these complications , we wonder??? Went to the nurse today and had the packing strips and bandage changed. I do it on the weekends but during the week we go to the nurse so that the new surgeon can see we are following his instructions. Well Richie was on sulfur and augmention for 1 month and now he is off antibiotics for 4 days and the infection is doing no better. Still loads of pus coming out. It is a deep wound. Will take a long time to heal. In the meantime we worry about the aggressiveness of the cancer. Thursday we will go and see the Oncologist and ask some questions. But chemo and radiation are a long way off, until wound heals. My husband had no chemo before surgery. He just had the tumor and 29 lymph nodes removed. Will think of you and your husband each day, and we too will keep you in our prayers. We were told that stomach cancer is a rare cancer. Mainly Koreans and type A blood people get it. My husband smoked too, right up until surgery. I am here for you, keep in touch! Joanie

Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Hi Joanie, So Sorry your husband is having that complication. Why did he not do chemo before surgery? I am sure there must be a reason. Everyone's case seems so different. They are having to put a different tube in husband today, he said something about a leak from entry, not inside. We live 80 miles from Chicago and I can not go back until tomorrow, I hate not being there all the time with him. Yes so many things can go wrong. He is having a hard time with the COPD. HE quit several years ago but he has so much damage. I hate cigarettes. When you actually see someone with COPD it scares the crap out of you. I would hate not being able to get a breath! What did the pathology say after the surgery for your hubby? Do they think they got it? Take care and let me know how he is getting along.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Hi Brenda, Please let us know what the tube is that they are putting in your husband. No chemo was suggested for my husband before surgery because every cat scan, pet scan and xray said that the tumor was contained in the stomach. So the surgeon said lets go in take about 60% (was 70%) and that will be that. Well they took out 29 lymph nodes and only two were cancerous. They got the whole tumor but it had already broken through the stomach lining. If it hadn't broken through the lining and went to lymph nodes he wouldn't have needed chemo at all. The scans showed that the cancer had not gone to esophogus, liver etc. Thank God for that, and maybe that is whey they didn't do chemo before. These surgeons don't volunteer any info. Ours answers questions but his answers are short and to the point. If we don't ask he doesn't volunteer any info. And now this wound infection. It looks worse, now that a month of antibiotics is over. Wonder what our new surgeon will do on Wed. As long as the hole keeps open, we are OK. It is closes and infection is not over, he will re open. Don't know who to trust. The surgeon who did surgery, told us to go to Oncologist, knowing Richie had infection. Oncologist won't touch him with this infection. It is a never ending nightmare.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
(female)

brendaelk HB User

My Goodness, what a nightmare indeed. I feel so glad that the doctors here at Northwestern are great about explaining what they know to us. And there is no shortage of them, there is a thorasic team for his breathing, the espohagus team that follow the surgeon that did the esophagus part, then the stomach team that did the stomach part. Every few hours a group is there to check on him. OF course this is a teaching university hospital and they are following some great surgeons. His scans showed that the tumor was right at where the esophagus and stomach meet. IT showed a few lymph nodes involved and some spreading in the lining close around it. The ultrasound showed the rings were close to the tumor. So they took some of both esp.and stomach. A lot of things are also hindered because the aggressive chemo seems to have comprimised his breathing and he is slow to recover on that. They are doing another cat scan this morning to see about the tube change, the doc said the leak is not to bad and they feel it would make it bigger changing it so maybe he will dodge that. I worry about all the cat scans and Xrays they give him now being to much radiation. I know he had alot of them before the surgery but they could see the tumor had shrunk alot from the chemo and that helped I am sure. I sure hope the infection gets better for your husband that has been a big worry of mine that Denny will get one in his opening as well. This is really a life changing trama isn't it? I feel like I have been through the ringer myself and I have Fibromaylgia and arthritis and the stress causes it to flare up. We have to stay strong for them and it is tough. So the antibiotics has not helped at all? Can you see improvement? Thks for your replys and take of yourself as well!!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Joanie, they are going back in laproscopically today at 6 PM to repair a leak by putting a stent over the leak area. They think they can do it with a scope method instead of making another opening in the stomach. The leak is in the esophagus area and they are putting a bigger tube back in with a stent. I am waiting to go back until tomorrow because he will be out with all the drugs they use to do this. They will call me as soon as they finish they said. So this is not as good as it could be as well. I will keep in touch and let me know what they find out about your husband.

Closed Thread