It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Stomach Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

brendaelk HB User
diet complications after stomach removal

I was hoping to get some tips from people who has experienced similiar complications after stomach removal from Cancer. Joanie you have a been so much help and I hope to continue with your feedback. My husband came home from the so called rehab that was actually more of a nursing home atomsphere. He was not getting enough nourishment just eating their meals 3 times daily. When they supplemented with the feeding tube then of course the diarhea ensued! It is tough on him to get some energy. He is now eating more often and smaller portions but I feel he is lacking in vitamins and minerals. The home nursing has only done a evalutation on him, so they are not helping yet. IT is very overwhelming to watch him and not be able to help more. His COPD of course has been a complication, he is not on oxygen but does do the nuebulizer 3 to 4 times daily. I was hoping to get some great tips or feedback, something out there should be able to help him recuperate. I am open to all advice and feedback and it is appreciated! Thanks! Brendaelk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User
Re: diet complications after stomach removal

Brenda, I wrote in another post about the nutritional drink. I think this would help him. Also, Richie was able to eat Pastina with little butter or college inn chicken broth. I ground up cooked chicken, carrots and put in chicken broth. Also, I bought some baby food (beef n chicken) and tried to mix it in mashed potatoes. He ate it, but didn't like it. Breakfast was Farina with little milk and sugar substitute. Also, he was able to eat Lobster Bisque. I bought at Trader Joe's. High calories. Remember they stress protein and don't forget if you try and give soup, the liquid in it may be too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Joanie, thanks so much for all your info, I do not know what we would do without your help! This new doctor from the nursing home rehab says he knows nothing about what to give in the J Tube. Now he is getting nausea with everything going down, even water. Can the HcalN be given in the J tube or is it only by mouth? I am calling a regular Gastroenology Doctor today and get his help, I feel Denny is gonna have to get back on tube feeding. I wil get back as soon as I get a hold of this doctor, I am gonna tell him the name of the drink you gave me!Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Joanie, I took him to the emergency room because he was just too dehydrated. They gave him 2 bags of fluid and sent him right back home. Looks like blood work was all allright. HE even has C Diff and they just changed the medicine on it. He is just on medicare now and they do not want to keep him of course. I stopped and got some diabetic drink for now until the doctor gets the orders called in for the home health care to get the supplies for tube feeding. Seems like no one is any hurry to help him, so frustrating. The Two Cal HN has to be prescription (I guess) I asked about it and the pharmacist took me to the diabetic section and gave me glucerna for diabetics. Will get back later today! thks Brenda

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Yes, Glucerna was also recommended to us too. Didn't buy though. The TwoCal HN was given to us as a prescription, but when our insurance wouldn't give it to us, we called around and a local pharmacy ordered it for us, not using the prescription. It cost $50. You can also buy it on line without a prescription. It has so many good nutrients in it. Richie was able to get a can down a day eating it with a spoon and taking 2 to 3 ounces at a time.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
(female)

brendaelk HB User

WE just got the feeding tube last night started, only 20 ML a hour and 10 increase every day so it will take a few days to help, I think it is to slow, the tube is so tiny for a j tube though. And we got new meds for the C diff that we can put in the feeding tube. He is so weak Joanie and has no appetite. I hope this helps, I will let you know! Thks Brenda. How is Richie doing with the chemo?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Denny doing much better, feeding him by tube now for a few days up to 45 ML, 50 later on today. Also the vancomyacin is doing good work of helping rid him of C diff. This is starting 3rd day on it and he is back to normal bowel functions and starting to get a little strength. What a long strange trip its been! What a operation and recovery process but well worth it to get rid of the cancer in his stomach! How is richie doing with the chemo? And how is his diet? Is he still eating good? Take care! Brenda

Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

All is OK here. So glad to hear that Denny is doing better. Each day is a challenge. If Richie eats a little too much or eats a little too fast or drinks before that 30 minutes in between he gets real bad stomach pain. He will start this Monday on the chemo/radiation. Know it will be very tough, we were told this. But it is something we have to go through. Hoping each day gets better and better for Denny.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-19-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

Brenda, Haven't heard from you. Just wanted to know how Denny is doing? We are struggling here. Richie has 3 days left of the 5 week radiation and tomorrow starts 3 days of chemo. And now he gets a fever and has no appitite and is nauseous all the time. Oncologist says it must be a virus and gave antibiotics.??? But his white & red blood count are very low. But Dr. says continue for next 3 days. Hoping for the best outcome. Looking to hear a good word from you.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
(female)

brendaelk HB User

Well Joanie, Denny is passing away. He is in the hospital here in town, I just woke up, I came home last night and I hope he did not pass while I was here, but I have not heard from the hospital. He just never recovered well, so when he got so weak his surgeon in Chicago said to bring him back to Northwestern. I did and we found out through a cat scan that the cancer had returned and was in his liver and chest nodes. They said nothing they can do now. I could not take care of him at home so they put him in the hospital here. We turned off the feeding monday because he is in and out of conciousness. I was not writing because I did not want to scare you or Richie. It is just a thing we have no control over, Only God knows why he takes some and not others. I am ready for him to get out of a world he no longer needs and have some rest and peace. Tell Rich to do what he can to get rid of this terrible curse of cancer, I believe he will and just appreciate every minute you both have together, it is a journey for you both.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
(female)

Buzzy523 HB User

My dear Brenda, We are so sorry to hear about Denny. We pray that God will give you the strength to get through this terrible ordeal. We know Denny fought so hard to get well. You take care of yourself and find comfort in knowing that you did all you could for him. Please let us know when God calls him home. I will pray for you both. Richie finished 5 weeks of radiation today. He gets taken off the chemo pump tomorrow. Then in 28 days he will start chemo again and then after another 28 days he will have chemo again. He is doing OK. Very weak and very tired and low blood counts. He had fever this week but they continued treatment. We will not know for a while if all the cancer is gone, but we are keeping optimistic that it is all gone. You and Denny are in our thoughts and prayers. Joanie

Closed Thread