HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Stomach (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-stomach/)
-   -   Acid reflux or something else? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-stomach/921473-acid-reflux-something-else.html)

glove9298 10-03-2012 08:18 PM

Acid reflux or something else?

About a month ago I started to have this burning in my stomach, chest, throat, or even my intestines. I have been taken Zantac twice a day for a week now and it seems to be working as long as I stay away from sodas, spices, and acid foods. Stress with my kids homework also gets the acid churning. When I have to urinate this also seems hot at times kinda like a bladder infection. MY poop has been yellow at times and I see a tiny bit of blood on the toilet paper. I do use the bathroom everyday for what I think is normal poop. No pain in stomach either. I am going to a gastro doc for a endoscopy and colon test. Just wondering if anyone else had these symptoms and could possibly share your story. Thank You!

Gugulimo 10-03-2012 09:26 PM

Re: Acid reflux or something else?

Hi Glove, I have had stomach burning / chest / throat. Also felt like no matter how much I tried to clear the throat it just didn't quite happen....some soreness, something stuck kind of feeling. Chili exaggerated the stomach burning. I for the fear of what might happen didn't try sodas but even the antiacid (Eno) that has some fizz seems to fill me up uncomfortably which indicates what soda might bring! I too didn't have much pain in the stomach. Discomfort like you are just filled from the inside was there and bloating. Do you have bloating? When these symptoms were severe I felt something was wrong with my bladder. I'm actually a GERD / IBS sufferer currently on treatment. I too thought that I was going to have a urine infection and kept drinking loads of water to try and clear out what it might be. Took about 3 days but continuous drinking of water (re hydration salts since I had diarrhea at the time) cleared it out. It felt like a sharp vertical pain to the mid / left side of the bladder. The pain came just before you'd want to use the bathroom but NO PAIN while passing urine. I too had very yellow stools due to the gastritis / ibs issue at the time. This I believe is bile. It also had a mucus like substance (it is yuck but I thought I'll say anyways as it might help you!) ;-) Blood is something you should speak to the doctor about definitely. But having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about it because sometimes having bowel movements 'scratches' the internals / externals a little and you'd see a tiny bit of blood. But then again, this is something you need to be sure of. The acidity might just be causing this temporarily but I'm not sure about that. I didn't experience it but I have had some blood (tiny bits on tissue) due to the 'scrapping' effect I mentioned time to time and that has been there for like over a decade and nothing really happened. Stomach acid does things that are like totally weird and even if you are not having anything else other than just lots of acid, these urine infection type symptoms can also appear. My guess is that you have just excess acid and some symptoms of gastritis....just a wide wide guess, I'm not a medically trained doctor so that's why. Just based on what I experienced and particularly because your meds seem to be relieving some of the symptoms. I wouldn't worry....let us know what you checked out with. Good luck!!

glove9298 10-04-2012 02:26 PM

Thank you for your story. I am sure it is gastritis or IBS, but you can't help to worry when cancer is on the list of possible diseases. What kind of test did you have for your diagnoses? Are your stool one minute normal, but the next like diarrhea? I ate some vegetable soup today(bad choice) and it gave me some nausea. As long as I take the Zantac everyday, stay away from diet soda, which is very hard, and drink plenty of water I feel like myself. Again thank you for your story will keep you posted.

Gugulimo 10-04-2012 07:06 PM

Sorry posted twice.

Gugulimo 10-04-2012 07:15 PM

Hi Glove, in my case, the Tests were to ultra sound scan the entire abdomen except for the appendix ;-) This was to see whether there's sand / stones anywhere which may contribute to the pains / condition. I also had terrible pain (still have sometimes) on the lowest set of ribs which is most cartilage. They wanted to make sure it was the ribs and not the liver on the right side. Again, scan showed nothing so it was decided to be inflammation of the ribs due to the acidity levels. They wanted to run some blood work too. Liver function, full blood report, serum tests. There were changes noted on some of the liver enzymes and the white blood cell count (indicating there's an infection somewhere which is either being fought or finished fighting). This was expected because I had a viral flu prior to getting the gastritis / ibs. Then, since I had breathing issues, rapid heart rate, sweating they wanted to check my heart. Did an ECO and an ECG too therefore; again clear. Then after accompanying these with a physical examination (pressing the stomach here and there, checking the throat which was near blood red, eyes....) the doctor gave me the meds and to resolve the ribs issue he sent me to physio therapy.

I am on PPIs at the moment and trying to tail them off now that my symptoms have more or less settled. Having a hard time at that even at 7 weeks because the body is somewhat dependent on the PPIs (addictive...).

Two weeks after starting the medication the doctor wanted me to go for an endoscopy. For the fear of this test I postponed it and still haven't had it (I don't think I will risk it...some testers here are too rough and they might end up causing more damage than good). This may never be the case for you because where I am, hospitals are businesses as majority of people would agree. This is typically how doctors work in such environments. They run every possible test even if you are not showing symptoms of say for example ulcers. They name people to whom you should go to get the scans done so my suspicion is that this is a money making spree....maybe I'm wrong but it is so very suspicious! They charge per scan so if you want to, you can make money yourself while making your medically qualified friends rich too. The system apparently has developed that way. Anyway....all the above scans / reports were taken.

Yes I had alternating diarrhea and normal stools. It seemed to depend on what I ate but then again that too was hard to understand at times. Usually the morning bowel movement is the most normal. As the day progressed it worsened and ended up in diarrhea. Then that was on some occasions. Other days you'd have diarrhea once and then it'll again settle only to return to diarrhea after another day. The best I could figure was that this was part of IBS. Re hydration salts helped me. Apparently not only do they rid you of possible dehydration but also they act towards minimizing damage to the stomach wall. Also, honey helped me with the reflux. Soothes the throat.

I was asked to stop ALL dairy, ALL wheat, ALL fatty foods, ALL pulses. So, my diet was severely restricted from the start. I still had severe diarrhea even with all this restriction. Personally, I don't think this kind of "eliminate almost everything" was necessary but over here, to try and get an allergy test done it takes weeks. Some tests are not even available to the best of my knowledge. So, that might be why they take the approach of 'cut everything out'. It was really hard since I was already struggling for energy. A poor diet meant my healing process itself could get delayed. Hardly anything was absorbed by the body due to diarrhea and cutting down on even what COULD have been absorbed was only worsening the situation...etc. But doctor's advice so I painstakingly stuck with it. :-(

Hope this helps. Let us know how you are today.

noevr 10-04-2012 07:30 PM

hi I've been dealing with something very similiar for about a year now I guess. Been to different drs and now I'm going to a chines med dr. (Thank God) and she suggested I go on a gluten-free diet. after reading up I have all the symptoms and it sounds like yall have them too. fatigue is one of them, diarrhea then normal or constipation. nausea, reflux, migraines, rashes, lethargic after eating.

So I've been on the special diet about 1 1/2 months, its hard and expensive, I still think some stuff is slipping thru but I'm trying, my major problem is the nausea, fatigue, diarrhea. I still don't have the energy to get in there and start cooking GF stuff so I'm buying stuff that is. almost did it today but then got a migraine. But I'm having more good days than bad.

Oh yeah I'm also getting acupuncture and chinese meds from the dr. I'l try ANYTHING at this point. No one else knows what it is.

Good luck and hope my info has helped you some. Cathy

Gugulimo 10-04-2012 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=Gugulimo;5067292] Also, honey helped me with the reflux. Soothes the throat.

[/QUOTE]

Glove, just one thing I forgot, do not take honey if you have asthma. Not good...