It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 08:09 AM   #1

dltanner HB User
Question Throat Cancer

My Mom had throat cancer 3 yrs ago and they did radiation for a VERY small lump om the throat. 36 treatments which I thought was way too many. Anyway, after radiation was complete she came down with what I thought was a cold. Her throat swelled within 2 hours. She was hospitalized and put on a ventaltor, in a semi-concious state. Was in hospital 6 weeks and put on a PEG-TUBE for feeding. Said she was aspirating and liquid was going straight to her lungs. Her flapper in throat no longer works due to the ratiation. Was never expected to eat or dring anything ever again. She is now able to eat thick foods but still no liquids thru mouth. I have talked to others who had throat cancer and I can't seem to find anyone who has gone thru this mess. Anyone out there have the same problems and if so are you able to drink yet? She is 83 yrs old and the first time for her to be really sick. Other then that she is in pretty good health for her age. Cancer is gone they say, but one of my Drs. told me that he has never known a person with thraot cancer to not get it back again someplace else.

------------------
Darlene Tanner

Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
If you mother is able to eat thick foods orally then she can certainly take liquids thickended with "thickit" to pudding consistency or whatever the consistency is of the thick foods she tolerates. Ask her dietician or the docs nurse about this. We have many patients who have swallowing difficulties and if they can take thick foods they are given liquids that are thickened to whatever thickness the speech therapist feels they can tolerate after she/he does a swallow study on them. As for the cancer coming back that I can't comment on but if she keeps her immune system healthy she may well live a good life yet and not get cancer back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 11:15 AM   #3

dltanner HB User
Talking

Thanks for your reply. We have already used thickit, but not to her liking. She would just love to have a BIG drink of water. She lives with me and I feel soo guilty when I am drinking liquids because she wants them herself. I have yet to know of any other throat cancer patient that radiation did this to. I have told her cancer DR I am very frustrated with her out-come from the radiation. He tells me he has had no other patient who did this and he is very sorry it happened. Makes me wander if he knows he ordered way too much radiation. I know I should be greatful she is still living but it gets to me at times.

------------------
Darlene Tanner

Old 07-01-2003, 12:02 PM   #4

crystaleyes21 HB User
My father had throat cancer, and had the treatment done for it. it did not involve radiation, he was not that far advanced. he had the cancerous section cut out and they just watch for anymore to appear. I don't know if your mother was more advanced or what?? Was there a stage she was at?? I wish you and her the best, good luck~~Heather

------------------
~~Never look down on somebody unless you are helping them up~~

Old 07-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #5

dltanner HB User
Mom stopped smoking 1 year before her diagnois. Her voice was raspy and it took all I had to get her to see an ENT. She had not been to the DR in 25 years and never in hospital except to have her kids. The ENT put a small camera down her nose to look at her throat. Without even a biopsey he said it was cancer. Only as big as my little finger tip. I now wish we had made them just take out the spot. She has suffererd more then I think she should have, but I guess we trust too much in the DRs. to tell us all the opptions. Thanks for writing.

------------------
Darlene Tanner

Closed Thread