It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #1

Mich41 HB User
Post throat cancer fears

I posted these messages on the cancer forum a little while ago and have had some responses. If anyone could shed some light as well it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

I have had a sore throat for over a year now, 15 months to be exact. Only on the right side, near the tonsil. Have been to the ent many times, he says there is nothing wrong, i do have tonsil stones in that tonsil though, i pick them out occasionally. I just went the other day to the ent, he didn't look with any instruments, but said I'm fine, no cancer. My throat wasn't sore for a few weeks, but came back again. It sometimes makes my tongue hurt too. If it were throat or tongue cancer would the pain have just disappeared for two weeks. Months ago I did have a scope (through the nose to my throat), a ct scan, ultrasound, xray, etc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have no problem swallowing food, just localized discomfort. My voice isn't hoarse.
Thanks,
Mich4

I have been to the dentist recently and had a wisdom tooth removed from the other side. I will need to get my right side wisdom tooth out soon, but I really don't think that is my problem. My throat looks weird inside, lumpy on the right side, more so than the left.(when I extend my tongue and look). Although if I just open and look in my right sided tonsil actually looks a little smaller. Sometimes I think I see a greyish spot in my tissue right below my tonsil. My ent said he didn't see it and thought it might be a shadow when I'm looking.
Oh, I'm just frustrated now. My ent doesn't want to remove the tonsils, he said they look healthy. I'm terrified he's missing something. All of the ents work together in a teaching hospital so it is difficult to get a second opinion.
Thanks for listening

The following user gives a hug of support to Mich41:
Ronni (11-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Michelle- Actually, the longer you've had the same symptom (without any other new ones cropping up) the better. Serious illness does not usually wax and wane...disappear for a few weeks and return...
Postnasal drip from allergies and airborne irritants can cause sore throat. It can be caused by hay fever and other allergies that irritate the sinuses. Environmental and other conditions, such as heavy smoking or breathing secondhand smoke, breathing polluted air or chemical fumes, or swallowing substances that burn or scratch the throat can also cause pharyngitis. Dry air, like that in airplanes or from forced hot air furnaces, can make the throat sore. People who breathe through their mouths at night because of nasal congestion often get sore throats that improve as the day progresses.

Could any of the above pertain to you?

Also...have you had any thyroid studies done? Subacute thyroiditis can cause chronic sore throat. Although I'm not sure if it causes the same kind of localized pain as you seem to have. Worth investigating maybe.
Also acid reflux disorders often cause chronic pharyngitis .

If this was cancer, I'm pretty sure you would have swollen lymph nodes by now, plus a progression of some kind, easily detectable by the doctor.

What does he think is the cause of the inflammation? Surely he has an IDEA?????

zuzu xxx

PS Regarding a second opinion....Are you saying that in your area there is only one hospital and all the ENTS in town are affilliated with that one place?

Old 10-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #3

Mich4 HB User
Hi Zuzu,

Thank you for replying. There is one teaching hospital and yes they all work together. The doctor thinks I just have a chronically inflamed tonsil (not infected), tonsil stones.

Thanks again,
Michelle

Old 10-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Michelle- So my next question to you would be what is he suggesting to alleviate the problem?

Old 10-16-2003, 07:02 PM   #5

bassie HB User
Mich41

I agree with zuzu8 but will tell you that i spent about a year pearing down my throat when I was about 20. I "saw" lots of things and was reassured by Dr's.
Just leave off for a while and enjoy life. You will become aware if there is a serious problem.
Believe me I panicked too.(many years ago).
Best wishes.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #6

frutloop91 HB User
Hi, I'm going through the same thing right now. Its awful, I know. I started last year too, whenever I would get a migraine it would start this awful sore throat. Those finally subsided, but then it started burning everyday. After going to the doctors over and over they said it was allergies or stomach acid (GERD-Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) I was put on generic Zantac for my stomach ( oh, did you ever have chest or stomach pressure or fullness?) I was having chest pressure really bad, it would only get better when lying down. It seemed the Zantac wasn't really helping. I would have burning regardless, and then I started having discomfort when breathing. (Never had asthma before, but I was living in a house where prior smokers lived, even though we primed and painted everything???) Doctors tried to tell me it was allergies, take a nose spray, its your stomach, take stomach meds, and if it doesn't go away...come back...$$$ Anyway, here I am and I still have it and my tongue also started to burn and hurt, I do have a lot of post nasal drip (but the Rx sprays don't work) you know what I feel has helped me... I moved (possibly cleaner air), sometimes when I feel it gets really bad I take Tums (just in case it is from my stomach), and what really helps is SALINE nose drops (I use little noses non-medicated, its just salt water w/ the PH level toned down so it doesn't burn or irritate), but make sure if you try this, you have to let the drops go to the back of your throat when you feel it back there try to gargle it then spit it out. For some reason I can't get the same effect from gargling salt water, so I'm thinking its possibly a sinus problem since the drops get in there. Please let me know if you do get your other wisdom tooth pulled, I've also thought that might be the case, since my front teeth ache too(they are also turning clear in some spots,stomach acid?). Oh, I almost forgot, I changed my toothpaste and have felt some relief since. I'm now using Crest tarter control, no whitening(since my teeth hurt). I was sent to ENT and he said the post nasal drip is allergies and the throat is a viral infection that has no treatment and can last 6 to 9 months. I'm almost there for the burning sensation, and I'm past that for the sore throats. Well, sorry I'm rambling, trying to give you as much info as possible. Please let me know if you find out what is causing yours. GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread