It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2003, 05:06 PM   #1

psprodigy HB User
Post throat cancer treatment

My father was recently diagnosed with stage IV cancer of the larynx. The tumor is rather large, but the cancer has not spread to any other part of his body as of yet. The doctors recommended a treatment which would begin with chemotherapy, followed by radiation. The chemo they have suggested is a combination of taxotere, cisplatnum and FU5 delivered via infusion. The taxotere and cisplatnum would be given on the first day only and the FU5 would be given for four days, my father would have to be admitted to the hospital for the four days because of the high dosage of chemo involved. It would be on a 21 day cycle and he would have to do it 3 times. The doctor referred to it as "TPF" infusion chemotherapy. Has anyone undergone this type of treatment? I looked into a case study that the doctor had referred me to, the numbers looked good, but the toxicity of the side effects looked pretty severe, so getting any information on it from someone who has actually gone through it would be extremely helpful. Another option is doing chemo/radiation therapy simultaneously, with which the chemo would only involve cisplatnum and only a two day hosital stay while it was administered(during the 1st,3rd and 5th weeks of radiation), but the doctor feels the more aggresive treatment would give my father a better chance. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Old 03-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User
HI,
MY HUSBAND HAS JUST COMPLETED SIMILAR TREATMENT.
RICK WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER OF THE TONGUE AND TONSIL. HE STARTED WITH INDUCTION CHEMOTHERAPY FOR 6 WEEKS ONCE A WEEK, THEN HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 5 DAYS
GETTING CHEMO/RADIAITON THEN HE WAS HOME FOR 1 WEEK. HE REPEATED THIS TREATMENT 5TIMES OF A TOTAL OF 10 WEEKS. HIS STAGE WAS ALSO IV. THE MOST WONDERFUL TEAM OF DOCTORS AT UNIVERSIY OF CHICAGO HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TREATMENT FOR 5 YEARS WITH TREMENDOUS SUCCESS. TELL YOUR LOVED ONE THAT THEY WILL MAKE IT THROUGH, IT ROUGH TREATMENT BUT IT BEATS THE ALTERNATIVE. THERE IS A REMARKABLE ANTI-NAUSEA DRUG THAT MY HUSBAND TOOK (ZOFRAN) IT WORKED GREAT. HIS THROAT WILL BE SORE AND HE WILL BE TIRED BUT TELL HIM TO TAKE IT A DAY AT A TIME. THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE IS TO BE SUPPORTIVE AND DON'T LET HIM GIVE UP. MY HUSBAND JUST FINISHED HIS TREATMENT TODAY AND HE WILL BE ON HIS WAY TO A HEALTHY RECOVERY. IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO WRITE. YOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS
DEBBIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread