It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
(male)

profpo31 HB User
Exclamation signs of throat cancer

are there any warning signs to look out for that are signs of throat cancer? I know that sore throats and coughs can be associated with other illnesses, but are there any tell-tale signs that I should look for in an attempt to self-diagnose while I wait for my doctor's appointment? I'm extremely stressed about this and feel that stress may play a role in my cough and sore throat. Please, any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #2

fibrostinks HB User
Re: signs of throat cancer

What are your symptoms? Is it simply sore throat and cough? How long have you had the symptoms? How old are you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #3
(male)

profpo31 HB User
Exclamation Re: signs of throat cancer

I'm 21 years old and have used smokeless tobacco for three years. My symptoms include a chronic cough that lasted a month but is now going away, an occasional sore throat, an occasional feeling that there is something in my throat that comes and goes... I have been to several doctors, that last one about three weeks ago, and they have done the normal "open and say ah" throat check and felt the side of my throat and found nothing, i'm still extremely nervous due to the smokeless tobacco

Old 02-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #4

fibrostinks HB User

You know it sounds like it may be a form of reflux called LPR (laryngopharengeal reflux). This type of reflux is different than GERD and most patients dont have heartburn. The symptoms are chronic cough, sore throat, feeling of something stuck in throat ( to name a few).

You should see an ENT and have them do a simple scope ( doenst hurt and is fast) and that is the only sure way to diagnose. This way, at the same time you can ease your cancer fears.

BTW, at 21, it is HIGHLY unlikely you have cancer. Even with the tobacco. (You should give it up though, but I am sure you know that.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-08-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
(male)

profpo31 HB User

how long would you have to use smokeless tobacco for it to possibly form into a cancerous situation?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #6

fibrostinks HB User

{removed - do not presume to tell members how to post}

It is impossible to say how long cancer takes to form. Absoluetly IMPOSSIBLE. Its different for everyone. It helps to quit the tobacco, as this greatly lessens your chances of problems

My opinion is you dont have cancer. Especially since you have seen doctors. And especially since you are 21. And since you have had basic symptoms that can be MANY things...like a lingering cold or sinusitis,

Have you been to an ENT?

Please stop worrying about cancer. You dont have throat cancer.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-08-2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
(male)

profpo31 HB User

basically my assumption here is that if i had a throat cancer, i would have symptoms so bad that I would basically know it, like something really out of the ordinary, right?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #8

fibrostinks HB User

NO, dont make that assumption. You can have cancer and not know it at all. And if you are THAT concerned, you should go to an ENT today.

But I will say it again, though I am wasting my breath. I doubt you have cancer.

{removed - be supportive or simply move on}

Good luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-08-2005 at 02:51 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules

Old 02-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
(male)

profpo31 HB User

my apologies, i didn't mean to offend you, and as a matter of fact my last post was submitted before i read your prior response, so i did not have a chance to read it.

The symptoms of what you told me to look up seem like what it could be. I also saw something about 'globus' due to stress which, as i know you can tell, i have.

i really appreciate your help, hearing some smart words of encouragement really calms me down. thank you.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:05 PM   #10

fibrostinks HB User

Basically I can tell you much of what you describe arent even common throat cancer symptoms.

Common throat cancer symptoms are a lump or sore that does not heal, a sore throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing, a change in the sound of the voice, and a new hoarseness in the voice.

Throat cancer symptoms, and head and neck cancer symptoms, may also include trouble breathing, trouble with speaking, pain in the ears and frequent headaches. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include sinuses that are blocked and will not clear. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include bleeding through the nose, pain in the upper teeth, headaches, and swelling in the eyes. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include chronic sinus infections that do not go away when treated with antibiotics.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
(male)

profpo31 HB User

thank you.

i don't have any of those symptoms... i was diagnosed with bronchitis about two months ago, possible could have gotten the flu over that two month period, so a lingering sickness that lasted two months had me worried. the stress only worsened it, but i'm feeling better now.

the somewhat sore throat and the improving cough are the only remaining symptoms. sinuses are clear and there are no headaches. thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
(female)

lisa30777 HB User

Hi,

I have LPR and your problems sound like mine ,I got scoped last tuesday by my ENT who said my vocal cords where inflamed.

lisa

Old 02-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #13

fibrostinks HB User

Lisa30777-

I finally met another person with LPR!!! I was just diangnosed too. can you start a thread on here so you and I can chat and compare notes!!!

Thanks
A

Old 02-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Im going to jump in here with my 2 cents worth,its probably acid reflux disease like some other posters have mentioned.There are ppl who have what is known as silent gerd.Its the kind of acid reflux that is not associated with the typical symptoms, like heartburn.You might want to take a look at the postings under the gerd board on here,to see if this is what your experiencing.Take care.

Closed Thread