It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

sage7070 HB User
I am new and need support and info

Hi I am new to this board and my name is Deborah.I have been married for 21 years and have a 10 yr. old son.My husband has recently been told he has throat cancer.We went for a second opinion and were told he has to do the biopsy all over again because this well known hospital doesn't trust outsiders to be correct.They also need to map the tumor for treatment.We are all terrified.Can anyone tell me anything I need to know or ask the doctors before radiation begins?? Does diet help?? May God be with us all.

Last edited by sage7070; 07-24-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Re: husband has throat cancer

Please check out the Oral Cancer Foundation for more specific information. You'll get tons of support and specific info on this disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

BarbieBlueEyes HB User

I am doing radiation now for my throat cancer. The place above is a good place for info. There are so many different kinds of throat cancer and they know them all.

Bless you,
Barb~

Last edited by BarbieBlueEyes; 07-25-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

sage7070 HB User

Thank you for answering my post.How are you doing with your radiation?? How are you feeling? My husband gets his second biopsy tomorrow and we are terrified.The first doctor said it was early stage three cancer and that he wished it had been discovered earlier.He did not give us much hope for a cure.We are going to the Cleveland Clinic for this second opinion and I pray we are not told the same thing.What were you told? How long have you had it?? I am sorry for the questions please don't answer them if it makes you uncomfortable.I am going to pray for you and please know my heart goes out to you.My heart breaks for you and everyone else on this board that is going through this.God Bless you

Old 07-27-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

Deborah, First let me say I am sorry your husband is going through this.It is not an easy road to travel, but forget the first doctor. I heard great things about the Cleveland Clinic & hopefully you will get a more positive attitude there. Do a search for my previous posts concerning my friend with throat cancer.He was diagnosed March 2004 with a very large tumor on his left tonsil, lymph node involvement.It was stage 4, actually stage 4b.Thats pretty bad. He was given the all clear Nov 1, 2004 after having a pet scan. By the grace of God, he is doing very well without any signs of recurrence.Praise God for that!It was tough, and radiation & chemo are no picnic but it can be done. He had 35 rad treatments and 3 large doses of chemo. He had a complete response to treatment. Talk to his doctor, find out everything you can & decide on a treatment plan. Hit it hard! If hubby is thin, bulk up before treatment or get a peg tube, it saved my friends life because he was so thin before treatment started. When do you go to Cleveland? If your not happy there find a comprehensive cancer facility or someone who specializes in head & neck cancers. He can beat this. Prayer works wonders too! Please keep me posted! Will keep you both in my prayers!God bless!

Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
(female)

Brainstorker HB User

The first doctor that diagnosed me (found out from the cancer center he refered me to that I was Stage IV) wasn't exactly hopeful, but he didn't give me the words "terminal" either. This was in January. The above internet site other's have refered you to (The Oral Cancer Foundation) has many survivors who have been through radiation, chemo and surgery and are thankful to be alive. Most of us aren't diagnosed in the early stages anyway, as the first indicators that we have cancer are the swollen lymph nodes in the neck.

While it's easy to be terrified, especially in the early stages, and the treatment is far from pleasant, there is a chance for survival.

My treatment ended in early March and I'm here to tell you I'm having a pretty decent summer. I had my feeding tube pulled last week and hoping to actually enjoy a dip in the pool.

When you do visit the OCF site, try to make it over to the survivor/patient forum where there are message boards. Everyone there, participates in telling other patients information and give details on what to expect during treatment.

I wish you well and may there be a positive outcome.

Jen

Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
(female)

BarbieBlueEyes HB User

I have 8 more treatments to go. Cancer radiation and chem depend on the type of cancer he has and the location of the cancer and also they type of machine they will use on him. Many now have the newer IMRT radiation machines which give a tinier more direct beam and causes less damage to healthy tissues.

I am having the standard however my machine has "sleeves" inside that contour to my tumors shape and size and the beam is small also. Sometimes the radiation is placed internally and there is none from an outside source at all. I have had no problem with my salaviary glands or mucus. My spit was thick the third week and now its fine. I have no mouth sores, sore gums, painful ears or nausea.

My cancer is in my voice box. I had two biopsies, went to the surgery center and had the surgery which got all but 2% and then started my 33 rx treatments. Once a day M-F and off on weekends. I have lost no weight. In fact I have gained 10 pounds,\. No doubt from all the milkshakes I drink everyday with nice additives like icecream, bananas and chocolate.

I am in my 45th. week. I never did get really fatigued. Never lost my appitite, never has taken pain meds yet though they are here. I have difficulty swallowing as it feels like a chuck of broken glass is in my throat. After the first three weeks it eased up enough and with the Miles solution taken before each meal I can eat salad, fish. pasta and the like as long as its not crisp, dry or tomatoy or citrusy.

My neck this eek is burned and started to seep and get raw and nasty. I started on Biafine cream and I am now on a jelly type pad called Vigilon and it has saved my sanity. I wear it all day, sleep in it even and remove it right at the hospital before the treatment.

The mask of which I had heard tons of horror stories was no big issue. The mesh is so large you can see the entie room right out of the thing. They heat it up, lay it on your face and in 2 minutes its hardened and they take it off. I love mine. I am making a marti gras mask out of it when I am done.

To answer your questions: I do not know how long I have had it but its only in stage one. I got sick with a viral chest infection, had to get a bronchoscopy and the lung guy saw it and sent me to the ENT and it was off in a hurry. Get the biopsy, get the surgery, do the simulation and start treatments the next morning.

I would ask the doctors:
What side affects should I expect to have and if so what are you going to do for me when it happens?
What if this does not cure the cancer? What is the next step?
What types of food and supplememnts would you like me to take?
Are there any creams, colognes, shaving creams, body soaps, deodorant I should avoid.
Can I shave? If so a razor or an electric razor.
How long will I be here each day? Are there any particular clothes I should wear. (They want me to wear loose shirts that button or have a wide loose neck.)

I wil pray. Stage 3 is not so bad. There are some on the above mentioned place who have loved 8.9 and 10 years and started in stage 4. It is all in Gods hands. That is where we must put our trust.

God be with you both,
Barb~

Last edited by BarbieBlueEyes; 07-27-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
(female)

Madly_In_Like HB User

Hi Deborah--
First--I am SO sorry for what you are going through and everything involved

almost exactly 1 year ago my father was diagnosed with head and neck cancer-specifically, He had throat cancer from YEARS of smoking.

It was an awful time for us all--I never dreamed anything like that would happen to MY Dad.

I have to say though--they caught it early & my dad had the radiation treatments--and today -thank god- he is cancer free-- (well as far as we know...) my dad is a stickler for not wanting to be pitied, etc, lol-Men

I know what you are going through from a daughters angle--and from my mothers angle--if you need/want to talk please post here and I will come back in as often as possible.

You will get through this--you have to be strong. I was dying inside--but I didn't let it show to my parents, I think that made it easier on them
((((BIG HUGS)))) to you and your family!!

& to all of you other posters that are going through this--I am soooo sorry for you all as well--it's just very hard to read everything right now, I apologize. So many memories just hit me...

Old 08-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
(female)

MistyBlueEyes HB User

I am so happy to hear your dad is doing fine. I was a smoker before I got cancer but they found mine was from years of acid reflux. I had been on perscription antacids for over 5 years due to a peptic ulcer in the crook of my stomach. Its just the unluck of ther draw I guess. Though smoking will cause it and drinking as well they are finding more and more young people are now getting it who never smoked, drank or had reflux.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
(female)

Madly_In_Like HB User

hi MistyBlueEyes!
wow-I never would have thought about that--my dad also had/has bad ulcers and was on tagment when you could only get it by perscription--that is interesting to know
Thanks for responding--I hope all is well with you now

Closed Thread