It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

ktshorty HB User
Primary throat cancer - Secondary tumours found-NEED INFO PLEASE!!

Hi everyone
Been reading the message boards with interest...... My mum has just been diagnosed with throat cancer - further investigation has shown the cancer has spread to her lungs and liver. She has been offered chemo which will shrink the tumours but will not cure them. She is aware of this but not of how much time she has left.
As you can imagine, emotions are all over the place - she has 6 daughters and we all think the world of her.
Our concerns are mainly from not knowing enough about what cancer is about........ what pain she will have to endure - symptons of cancer etc.
I know every patient is an individual and symptons will be different but if anyone can give me any information, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Primary throat cancer - Secondary tumours found-NEED INFO PLEASE!!

Hi Kt, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It is obvious that she is very much cherished...

My first thought was to direct you to Hospice. They know just about everything there is to know about cancer and pain control in those last 6 months of life. Her oncologist would be able to put you in touch if she is at that point.
I'm not quite sure if you are ready for that yet??
Has she chosen to have any chemo at all at this point?

Let me know what you think as to what type of information you are looking for...
A Big Hug from the daughter of a Dad who had Colon Cancer,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

ktshorty HB User

Hi Ruth
Thanks for your reply..... and thanks for the hug!
My mum starts chemo on Monday - she is going in hospital for 5 days and then home for 14 days - as long as she is ok then they will do it 3 times and then see if it has had any affect... (fingers crossed)
I spend the majority of my life talking to people affected by cancer or reading websites or reading books!!
As much as her consultants are doing a good job of taking care of her - they never seem to tell us what is going on - like what the chemo entails etc -
The hardest thing in trying to deal with this is that she is so well......... We have doctors telling us she probably has about 4 monts and her only sympton is pain in her throat and ears..
Thanks again for your response and if you can help me any further, please stay in touch.
How is your dad?
Kay

Old 10-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Don't ever let a doctor tell you "how long" you have. they are so wrong to do that. Your time on this earth is up to the one above...we've all heard stories about miracles...well, I've seen one...and I would not put much thought in what that doctor says about 4 months. I have searched the web about this and there are 3 stages and each one didn't mention lungs or liver...but I guess can can travel anywhere...do the research and don't let those doctors discourage you!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

I am sorry for what you are going through but I agree with the above poster.Nobody knows for sure when their time is up.My friend had stage 4b throat cancer diagnosed March 2004. He is doing very well!!! He did not have spread to other organs but his tumor was very large. Don't ever give up hope! I too have heard many miracle stories and this could be your mom! Prayer works wonders! God bless!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kay,
Haven't seen you on here for awhile, how are things going? Has your Mom's oncologist talked to you about Hospice? They can help alot with information and experience with diseases like cancer.
I'm not sure what point you are at with your mom - many posters here have discussed Hope which is extremely valuable. However, some people wish more realistic information if things do not improve so that they can prepare themselves a bit. Everyone is different - I know me & my two sisters & brother were!
Our family had prayed for that miracle for my Dad of course, but as time went on our prayer changed into one for freedom from pain and that he be at peace.
Hospice took care of the first, and God took care of the second.
He died 2/6/01 and I became a regular at Healthboards in an attempt to give back a little of the support that I received when I first came here.
I miss him to this day but in some ways he's never really left... It really is true that you carry those you love in your heart - he's there along with all his ditties & jokes & all.
You don't know how you can ever get through, and you don't even know how ever got through it - - but you really do.

Please do let us know how you and your family are doing, ok???
Hugs,
Ruth

Old 10-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
(female)

ktshorty HB User
Talking Re: Primary throat cancer - Secondary tumours found-NEED INFO PLEASE!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi Ruth and anyone else reading this!
I am sorry to hear about your dad - Your words echo so much love for him and i am sure he is still with you in many ways.
My mum should of started chemo 2 weeks ago but they had to shut the ward because of an infection. She went in Monday (17th) and started the chemo the same night. So far she has had no side effects apart from a sore throat which they have given her mouthwashes for. Me and the family are really shocked because we were expecting her to be really bad and she is well.........really well. She cant stop eating (bearing in mind she has had the nutrition drinks for the last 3 months) she has colour back in her skin and she just feels really well!! I don't understand it but i'm not complaining!!
I have just finished a book that ended with these words 'A Doctor is not God and God was not a doctor! I strongly believe that NO ONE can tell you how much longer you are on this earth for and i am keeping an open mind. My mum is very positive and is fighting very hard - I love her for it!
Thank you to all of you who have responded to my messages - your words are a comfort.
I will keep you informed of her progress and god bless you all! x

Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
I wanted to tell you a story about my wonderful husband who was diagnosed
3 years ago with throat cancer and he was stage 4, he received very aggressive treatment both radiation and chemo. He was in the hospital for one week then home for one week. The treatment lasted for 6 months we were told the options and the chance for recovery. He was a fighter and when he felt like giving up I gave him support along with God's help and it really was a miracle that he is with us today. There is only one person who decides when our time on earth is complete and our time to be with him
begins so please support your beautiful mom and keep her nourished and
because her immune system is weak try to keep anyone with colds or flu
away from her. If you need any advice please just ask remember the caregivers also need support. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. This board is wonderful, I know because when Rick was going through this I received plenty of support from strangers and there is no way I could ever repay them.
Debbie

Old 10-22-2005, 05:00 AM   #9
(female)

ktshorty HB User

Hi Debbie
Thanks for sharing your story with me and for your words. I am finding these boards very helpful and its very true that carers do need support too.
We brought mum home from hospital after finishing her 5 days of chemo yesterday. So far she has suffered with the sickness and the tiredness side effects and she is quite emotional. She is having 10 days at home and then going back in for another 5 days of chemo. She is being so brave and positive and i have nothing but admiration for her. We are all aware of the effects of chemo to her immune system and will be doing everything we can to keep germs away from her!
I just hope the chemo will shrink the tumours and she will keep fighting.
As much as i wish people didnt have stories to tell of cancer, it is comforting to hear of the 'survivors' Similar situations and experiences often offer hope and good advice.
Thankyou all for your words and please keep in touch!
Kay. x

Old 10-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Dear Kay,

Your mums treatment sounds alot like Rick had, she will have difficulty with swallowing and eating so if you need any advice with food let me know, there are things that work. One example is Rick would take is pain meds and his swishes of nasty tasting gargle right before he would eat, the pain will still be there but it is alittle more bareable. very soft things like over easy eggs, plenty of ensure and prosure and believe it or not but luke warm green tea
worked. This is not an easy time for her or you and beleive me having such wonderful children that are supportive and understanding will be an unbelievable asset to her. The anit-nausea drug Zofren works great! I don't know if it is available to you but it really worked for Rick. I will keep you in my prayers and if I can be of any help email anytime.
Debbie

Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

Hi my nanna has been dianosed with throat cancer.The doctors think she only has 3 months to live.Shes too old and too weak to have any treatment.The cancers spread and she cant talk or eat anything really.Its so hard and im so upset.Its a shame that things like this happen and it effects us all.I was going to ask a question because im unsure why its happening.My nanna keeps coughing up like a plegm thats yellow.Does anone know what that could be?

Hopefully your mum will get better with chemo.It will be hard but you will all be there to support her!Hope everything goes ok for you

Old 10-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
(female)

ktshorty HB User

Hi Toni
I am sorry about your nanna. I know how hard it is to watch someone you love be in pain, especially through cancer. My mum has just finished her first session of chemo. Her worst side effect is the nausea........she has it real bad. I am just hoping that this chemo is going to shrink the tumours and give her a better quality of life.
My mum is struggling to eat because her throat is so swollen as the tumour is in the centre of her throat but apart from that she has no symptons so i cant help you with what your nanna is coughing up. Have you looked at any web sites? I have found a few useful ones.
All you can do is be there for your nanna and let her know how much she is loved (though i am sure she already knows). Just be strong!
Keep in touch and i am happy to chat to you anytime. take care. x

Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

Hi thanks alot.I hope your mum gets better.Chemo is hard but it normally helps quite alot!We go to see my nanna everyday and she knows how much we all love her its just so hard siiting there knowing shes dying.Lifes so unfair sometimes.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #14
(female)

ktshorty HB User

Hi Toni
Just wondered how your Nana was doing and how are you coping?
Kay

Old 11-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

And how are YOU kt???

Closed Thread