It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
(female)

natbick HB User
possible throat cancer

I wasn't sure where to put this so I hope it is in the right place. For around 6 months now I have had an on and off sore throat, and a feeling that something is stuck in my throat. To begin with it would come and go, not be too bad but in the last month it is constant and my throat actually feels quite constricted and swollen. I also have a very swollen left gland in my neck, it is actually obvious to other people. I finally got my act together and went to the dr. She did blood work and also an ultrasound of my throat. The blood work and the ultrasound were all clear. The dr said that the node was very swollen but no cancer cells were dectected. One thing my blood work did show up was something called Cytomegalovirus or CMV which is a virus very similar to mono. My dr is positive it is that, that is causing all my problems but I'm not 100% sure. There is a big history of cancer in my family, once case of throat cancer, and many other types of cancers. I used to be a very, VERY heavy drinker. Ok an alcoholic. I have been sober 2 months now which I am proud of. I do not smoke. I know that alcohol and smoking are risk factors for throat cancer. I also just don't have a good feeling Like something deep inside of me. I have always had a very good feel for my body and how it feels. I feel like something is def wrong.

Has anyone every gone through something similar? I'm thinking I need to get a second opinion. In fact I'm sure of it. It's just so scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

mabegb HB User
Re: possible throat cancer

natbick- no one knows your body the way you do. get a second, third or even fourth opinion. you have to be your own advocate. it very well could be a virus but keep on it - if something is telling you too. now not to scare you -but -to tell you to continue to check it- earlier this year i felt like my throat was swollen and something in it. they sent me for ct. it showed nothing .it was driving me crazy so i kept on the doctor. they did a petscan and found i have lung cancer. now the throat thing is not necessarily a sign of lung cancer it is just what brought me to them. they never did find anything in the throat. one of my doctors says it is just a sensation. i wish you good luck with all this and will be praying for you. listen to you and do what is right for you. -melissa-

Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: possible throat cancer

don't jump to conclusions....I was scared I had throat cancer too. I had a feeling of something in my throat and a lump. Turns out I had thyroid nodules......far less worrysome than cancer....
ask the doc about your thyroid.....

Closed Thread