It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

Vividangel1984 HB User
Throat Cancer

I'm 23 and I suffer from acid reflux for a long time now and I also had mono a year ago. My tonsils are still enlarged due to the mono and I see bumps on the back of my throat. I can eat and breathe but I have this horrible lump sensation in my throat. Sometimes I feel like gagging. Could it possibly be cancer? What are the symptoms of throat cancer? I don't have any pain but it feels like my throat is tightening..I'm scared.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
(female)

FRB1951 HB User
Re: Throat Cancer

Throat cancer is often not painful at all. Vocal cord cancer might have your voice hoarse at times. Early detection is essential in treating any cancer. Make an appointment with an ENT and he/she can scope your throat in the office. It's not painful. Also if you have enlarged tonsils you might want to talk about getting them removed. I waited until age 53 to have mine out and it was well worth it although the older you are the harder the recovery.

Most important: go ahead and make your appointment....it's not worth living with the stress of wondering if it is cancer. Early detection gives a better prognosis. Ruling out cancer gives peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

Vividangel1984 HB User

I made an appointment with my ENT and I shall go see her next week. If throat cancer is not painful then what is the main symptom? And how do they scope your throat?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

FRB1951 HB User

Hoarseness is the number one symptom with vocal cord cancer. If you haven't been hoarse, then I really wouldn't worry about that. I've had bumps on the back of the throat related to tonsil problems with no cancer. Acid reflux can damage the lining of the throat and give you that choking feeling. Thyroid problems can also do the same. Enlarged lymph nodes in the throat can mean throat cancer of some sort, but it can also mean a tonsil problem, etc.

I'm sure you'll be just fine. Glad you made your appointment to put your mind at ease.

The ENT will spray a deadening agent into your nostrils then insert a very small tube with a light through your nose and down into your throat. Husband's ENT has a tv screen that the doc views during the procedure. Another way is for the doc to view through an eyepiece attached to the tube. Although it might feel awkward, it won't hurt. The scope is done in the office.

Your doc might feel a scope is not necessary, especially with your age and your history of mono, enlarged tonsils and acid reflux. In that case, if you still want one, just let your doc know.

I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone with throat cancer at such a young age as you. Again, I'm glad you made an appointment because the stress of thinking you might have cancer is horrible.

Try not to worry and let us know what you find out.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

Vividangel1984 HB User

I just got back from the ENT and he did look at my tonsils and he didn't stick a tube down my throat but did he look at my vocal cords through a mirror. He said that everything looks fine and that I don't have throat cancer. But he was worried about the size of my tonsils and recommended that I get them removed. He said the reason why I feel a lump in my throat is because of the acid reflux and the enlarged tonsils. He told me to keep taking my Protonix cause I get a refill. See how I feel and from then we will make the decision about the tonsil removal. I'm kinda relieved that it isn't something more serious. As he told me..he said that getting yer tonsils removed is not fun but it would be a big improvement in the way I feel. He also gave me a piece of paper in ways to control your acid reflux. I did not know that being overweight can make the acid reflux worse cause of all the pressure. I'm not obese but I am overweight and losing weight is something that I might need to do. Hopefully it would help. Thank you for helping me make the decision to go see a doctor. Tonsil removal is something I am considering...

Old 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
(male)

emil20 HB User

Great to see it was'nt cancer!!!

Closed Thread