It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

lilly667 HB User
hpv and throat cancer

If you had hpv on your cervix and gave oral sex to the partner who you contracted the virus from does that mean you have it in your throat and will get the throat cancer?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: hpv and throat cancer

It is very possible that if you have given oral sex to the person who infected you with HPV, then you have HPV in your throat. But the leap from having HPV in your throat to actually having throat cancer is huge and you'll only be worrying yourself needlessly if start imagining the worst with no symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
(female)

lilly667 HB User

so what do i do?? go to my ob and ask? or do i have to go to another doctor? i just saw an article about this whole thing and am freaking out

Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I agree with what Thisby says. If I were you I'd make sure I kept up with my dental exams (twice per year) and make sure your doctor knows you are HPV positive. That way he/she knows to keep an eye on any changes that make look suspicious.

I've wondered the same thing, and that is the route I'm taking with my dentist.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

rhiannon777 HB User

The incidence of throat cancer is very, very, very low. While HPV is connected to throat cancer, that doesn't mean if you have HPV in your throat that you will get throat cancer. Since most people (85&#37 have HPV at some time and most people also have oral sex, it stands to reason that most people have HPV in their throat at some time. There is no need for you to have your throat check or get a "throat smear" or anything else. If you want to bring it up with your doctor so you can hear some reassurance from a medical professional, that's totally okay, but it's not something they will do anything about since the risk is so tiny. Again, while HPV in your throat does raise the risk of throat cancer, the risk of throat cancer is still so low that it's not something you should sit around and worry about.

Last edited by rhiannon777; 06-13-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Closed Thread