It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

sharondab HB User
thirty one years old and have throat cancer

Im thirty one years old and found a lump on the right side of my neck that would not go away , the first doctor I went to simply said it was an infection somewere in my body she didnt know what or where it was and sent me out the door not satisfied with the way she handled that I made an appt with my doctor who exam the lump and sent me to a head and neck doc , the moment he felt the lump he look worried and then when I told him it felt as though something was in my throat he did an exam by putting this long tube in my nose where he found a growth he ordered a ct scan that revealed five growths in my throat I just went for the biopsy two days ago I know in my heart it is cancer I have a five year old eight year old and a seventeen year old, just the thought of knowing that this thing I have can kill me and leave my children behind is devestating but the most shocking part of it all is my doc said he beleives i got it from smoking ! I turned to him with tears and said but its people that smoke for half there life and dont get this! as if everytime I lit that ciggarette I didnt see the warning lable on the side of the carton the thing is I though I was young healthy and invinceble and it could never happen to me im from a long line of smokers and none have health problems from it , if there is anyone out there who had had this at my age and can offer hope please let your light shine on me , even though this is new to me all I can do is want to be a voice for this thing it can happen to anyone, any time, any age, cancer from smoking dont ever think it cant happen because of age ,I sure did

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
Re: thirty one years old and have throat cancer

Don't give up hope. Look up natural cures for this.
There are smokers in my family too. Almost every one smokes. Aunts, uncles, grandparents and especially my parents. My brother and two of my sisters smoke. I never smoked. I'm now 31. But a few yrs ago I really went through something very difficult. I smoked here and there, but I did not take to it well at all. My lungs would just hurt so bad and so would my throat and I was so scared into just not smoking anymore. So I don't.
But I got so scared one night because I woke up in the middle of the night with my throat and lungs hurting so bad. I started looking up throat cancer and found that some people at such young ages do get it. I was shocked and really scared.
So many chemicals are put into the tobacco it's awful.

There are natural cures for cancer. If you really think about it, the body heals itself. There are cures that work with chemotherapy, if that's what you end up getting.
You are very young and I'm sure pretty healthy. Your body can heal from this. Just look into healing the right way. Take care of yourself.
My heart truly goes out to you. I hope you're not alone in this.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

sharondab HB User

thank you so much for the hope I have gotten my results back and sadly it is cancer it is called non keratinizing squamous cell cancer of nasopharynx/oropharynx and my doctor informed me he dose not think this type of cancer come from smoking , but he said it is in stage 2b and a 60 to 70 percent chance of cureable treatment ,and I have been looking into natural cures and found something intresting : ) thank you so much again and God bless

Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

kafish67 HB User

Hi Sharon,
I'm a stage 4 cancer survivor of 7 years, having been diagnosed with SCC of the tonsil with lymph metastasis at the age of 34. Unfortunately, there is no alternative cure for this type of cancer...western medicine is the only alternative. I had a modified radical neck disection with radiation and chemo. Although it wasnt an easy treatment, I'm still here to talk about it. I was a smoker as well, however like you, thought I was way too young for this type of diagnosis. HPV is a virus that is gaining popularity is the SCC world. It is the same virus that causes cervical cancer. I would recommend you have your tumor tested for HPV and get yourself to Comprehensive Cancer Center(CCC) as soon as possible. I'm sorry you are going through this, but keep forging ahead and try to stay positive. I have a 4 year old so I can relate to your fears. There is so many resources on oral cancer on the web that can also help you through this. Hang is there and contact me when you need to.

Kelley

Last edited by kafish67; 11-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

sharondab HB User

thank you so much kafish it feel so refreshing to speak with someone that has been through the same thing im about to go through , the thing that amazes me is that you are a stage 4 cancer survior ! wow and yesterday I was really down feeling mighty bad but when you said you had all this surgery but you are still here to talk about it moved my heart my thing is when dose the sadness go away when will i reach the point were im strong like you

Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
(female)

smadie HB User

Hi Sharon. My 55 year old (never smoked a day in his life) husband was diagnosed in January with stage IV "base of tongue" cancer which spread to a lymph node in his neck. He successfully completed 7 weeks of daily radiation and weekly Ciplatin (chemo) treatments in April. He had a modified radical neck disection in January when he was diagnosed. Treatment for any oral cancer is tough but you are young and this cancer can be cured. Even with a feeding tube in my husband lost 30 lbs. during treatment. If you do an internet search for Oral Cancer Foundation you will find a world of information and support. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User

My ex husband had stage 4b throat cancer. He was diagnosed at 37. The treatment is brutal but it works. He is now 5 years clear.He had radiation and chemo together. Feel free to ask any questions!!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
(female)

halfpint1954 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharondab View Post
Im thirty one years old and found a lump on the right side of my neck that would not go away , the first doctor I went to simply said it was an infection somewere in my body she didnt know what or where it was and sent me out the door not satisfied with the way she handled that I made an appt with my doctor who exam the lump and sent me to a head and neck doc , the moment he felt the lump he look worried and then when I told him it felt as though something was in my throat he did an exam by putting this long tube in my nose where he found a growth he ordered a ct scan that revealed five growths in my throat I just went for the biopsy two days ago I know in my heart it is cancer I have a five year old eight year old and a seventeen year old, just the thought of knowing that this thing I have can kill me and leave my children behind is devestating but the most shocking part of it all is my doc said he beleives i got it from smoking ! I turned to him with tears and said but its people that smoke for half there life and dont get this! as if everytime I lit that ciggarette I didnt see the warning lable on the side of the carton the thing is I though I was young healthy and invinceble and it could never happen to me im from a long line of smokers and none have health problems from it , if there is anyone out there who had had this at my age and can offer hope please let your light shine on me , even though this is new to me all I can do is want to be a voice for this thing it can happen to anyone, any time, any age, cancer from smoking dont ever think it cant happen because of age ,I sure did
Hi there, it may not be from smoking. Ask your doctor to do the test for HPV16. If that is the cause, which is getting to be more and more the case, your prognosis is alot better. They are finding today that people in their 30s and 40s are getting some of the head and neck cancers because of it.. They say HPV16 can be in the system for years before going to cancer. I have tonsil cancer, quit smoking many years ago, am 55 a grandma and tested positive for HPV.. Who knows how I got that, 2 sexual partners in my life, ( had to be my ex who cheated on mebefore we split) Anyhow that was a long time ago and nothing I can do would change it now.... All I say is get the HPV test Please!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
(male)

gvk123 HB User

I hope you are feeling a whole lot better now my dear friend.
Your doctor said it most likely wasn't caused by smoking? If so, may I ask if your family has a history of cancer?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
(female)

kafish67 HB User

Just checking in to see how you are doing? I'm sorry I didnt respond to your post back in November. I am 7 years out and it has been quite a journey for me. You just have to stay positive and dont be so consumed by fear(easier said than done, I know). If I can help you through any of this, I'm here for you. Please let us know how you are doing.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
(female)

DazzledStar HB User

Hi hun,

I hope you are doing well. I know how it feels to be scared and not understand how you have cancer when you are so young. I'm 23 and I was just diagnosed with telangiectatic osteosarcoma, which is so rare I can't find anyone else who has it. Just hang in there and try to keep smiling for your children. I have a two year old daughter, I understand the fear of not being around for your children to grow up. Please update as to how you are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
(female)

sharondab HB User

thanks so much for the concern I think its been a couple months when I last posted well now im in treatment of radiation to the nose, mouth and neck .and every three weeks of cisplatin chemo in which my second dose is christmas eve and boy that chemo drug is harsh! I also decided to go ahead and get a feeding tube this is the hardest fight I will ever fight in my life that's for sure but with the support from God and my family I will be fine . God bless

Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
(female)

elrav HB User

I am a 45 year old female, and have a history of severe dysplasia of the cervix and vulva. I have just recently found a white patch in the back of my throat (isn't trush). My GP looked at it, said it was worrisome and I am now going to an Oral surgeon for biopsy. Anyone have this type of lesion that was cancer?

Closed Thread