It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Karly25 HB User
Throat cancer, but no risk factors?

Hi,
I posted something similar to this on in the Thyroid section, but after doing some more research, I'm thinking it probably isn't my thyroid I'm having trouble with.

For about a year now I've had a lump on my throat, I've always assumed it was my lymph node swollen (only the right lymph node). Along with this, I've had a reoccurring sore throat...occurring off and on for about a year as well. When I do have a sore throat, it is very difficult to swallow (often there is a sharp pain on the right side...the side with the 'swollen lymph node'). My sore throats sometimes only last a few days, but always come back. I've been to my doc quite often over the past year about my throat and she can never find any sign of infection. Only once did my doc tell me I had strep and gave me antibiotics. Most times she just said it looked red, but that's it. And as for the lymph node, she said that sometimes it just takes a while for the swelling to go down after an infection (and I know this, but, a whole year? really??).
Anyway, lately (the past few weeks) I've had this nagging cough...almost like a tickle in my throat, that will not go away. I've also had a lot of pain in my ears (my doc checked..there is no infection) along with ringing in my ears. My throat is constantly dry and hoarse, and there are two blister-like sores in the back of my mouth that keep coming back. In general, I've been feeling very tired, weak, fatigue, and getting through days has been difficult. Finally I went to my family doc last week and she Finally referred me to an ENT. My appointment is next week.
So, my question is, (and I know I'm probably being paranoid..at least I hope) is it possible that it could be a tumor in my throat and not a swollen lymph node, even though I have absolutely none of the risk factors for it (I don't smoke, I am a 24 yr old female, and there is very little cancer in my family)?

I should also mention that I had a seizure a little over a month ago, and that I've been having aura's for about a year now. I saw a neuro and he believes I have temporal lobe epilepsy. I'm getting an EEG done on Friday to confirm it.

Any thoughts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of not getting answers from my doctors!

Last edited by Karly25; 04-19-2010 at 01:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Throat cancer, but no risk factors?

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of cancer!
you say just in the last couple weeks you've had an itchy throat, cough, etc. I'm wondering if it could be allergies? Not sure where you live, but everything seems to be starting to bloom lately, and it's causing a lot of people trouble.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

Karly25 HB User
Re: Throat cancer, but no risk factors?

I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, and the long waits between tests and doctor appointments only make it worse...I get a little paranoid and read too much into things, I'll admit that. It's just I've been having these problems for awhile and they're only getting worse. I think having the grand mal seizure also freaked me out a lot...I'm still emotionally recovering from that from a month ago :S

I do have allergies, and asthma. I have an inhaler for the asthma, and a nasal spray and Claritin for the allergies. That might explain the cough and such, but the sore throats have been occurring for over a year now...and it doesn't really explain the lump in my neck, or the spots in my mouth.

I do hope you're right though, and that it's something I can easily deal with like allergies. I'll let you know what the ENT says.

Thanks for replying!

Closed Thread