It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
(male)

blazin dave HB User
constant cough

hi my name is dave,ive had a constant cough for about 4 years now.i feel like have drainage in my throat or something thats causing a constant cough some days are worse than others,i seen an allergist and was told i do have savere allergies and took shots for 6 months but never helped.ive also been told by a lady that said she had the same thing and for me to see a gastroloist.it is very hard to deal with and any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: constant cough

Sounds like an unproductive, chronic cough. You must be somewhat used to by now, as it's been going on for four years. From your description, my first thought was post nasal drip, caused by swollen nasal passages. If it were me, I would for sure see an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
(male)

stanleytapp HB User

Hey man why don't you consult a doctor? This might be symptoms of tuberculosis. You should be alert for your health.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User

Did you see a Gastrologist? I think that you could well have GERD! I suffer from this & a constant cough was a constant symptom for many years until I got a diagnoses. Now that I am on medication things are much better. I urge you to see one soon!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

brownbird HB User

I started getting mucus around and in my airways about 8 months ago, and have been trying to clear my throat since then. I'm still trying to get it diagnosed, but we're mainly assuming that it's post-nasal drip running into my lungs, since I have allergies, got allergic rhinitis about 5 years ago, and chest x-rays and a pulmonary breathing test haven't found anything.

Right not, I'm using a pulmicort oral inhaler which seems to be helping both lesson the amount of mucus and preventing a dry asthma cough that I tend to develop after I've been clearing my throat for a while, but not making it go away completely, and I am trying a sinus rinse.

I've been doing choral singing for years, and I've noticed something that works for temporary relief. Something about the way that people use air to sing seems to help force mucus out of the lungs. When I was singing after this started, I noticed that the mucus would kind of build up pressure until it was getting hard to keep producing sound, and then just sort of pop out. So now when it's really bothering me (and I'm preferably not in public lol) I'll sing or hum to try to clear it out.

I get that not everyone knows how to or feels comfortable with singing and humming, but I find that it can be really effective in giving relief for lung congestion for a little while, so I thought that I'd share it. Singing also helps strengthen the lungs in general.

If you haven't already, you should probably see a doctor to figure out if it really is post nasal drip or something else and get medication to help more permanently.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Closed Thread