It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

terr828 HB User
One swollen tonsil for almost two months?

I'm a little worried , I had a cold back in March and both of my tonsils were swollen (my left one more so) however my right one went done to its normal size after a few days and my left one went down a bit, but still hasn't gone back to its normal size and is still pretty swollen. It doesn't hurt, I can't feel it, it's just more so annoying and I am also worried. Its been about two months now and I have been to the Doctor about it, it wasn't much help he didn't have much to say other than it will eventually go down and that it was clean (no bacteria on it). I'm concerned though on what could be causing it to be swollen still, and if it's anything serious to worry about? Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm a 19 yr old healthy female, I've never smoked and I hardly ever drink. Much help would be appreciated! I'll probably go see an ENT if it doesn't clear up in a few weeks..

any experiences would help!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
(male)

cbs13 HB User
Re: One swollen tonsil for almost two months?

I had the same thing. I was extremely worried because I am a cancer survivor. I happened to look in my car rear view mirror and saw my right tonsil was swollen and my left was normal. I went to my oncologist and he sent me to an ent doctor. After looking at it, he told me he doubted it was cancer but that it needed to be removed to be 100 percent sure. Well I waited until after the holidays and stressed myself out over it. I had it removed last week and got the results today and it turned out it was not cancer but tonsil stones. Also sulfur deposits or something like that but I am ok and recovering from the tonsillectomy. So don't always think the worst like I did!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to cbs13:
terr828 (01-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

terr828 HB User
Re: One swollen tonsil for almost two months?

Hi there! Thank you for your response. I ended up going back to the doctor and got a referral for an ultrasound. The results came back that I had a few enlarged nodes in my neck but that they all were normal, just enlarged. The doctor recommended waiting a month and checking to see if they would go down at all. This was in the summer, and now my tonsils are both back at the same normal size and have been since August/September. What you did was definitely the smartest thing you could have done. There is no way to know 100% if it is malignant or not unless it is removed. The reason why I didn't push for removal was because the size of my tonsil was gradually decreasing in size and getting better than from when it first became enlarged.

I'm very happy to hear that your scenario turned out well! *hugs* Thank you for the advice . It's always better to be safe than sorry!

And if you happen to come across this post because you are worried about yourself or someone you know that also has swollen gland(s).. Don't panic, there are many MANY innocent reasons as to why glands can swell (viruses, bacterial infections, etc).

If the gland doesn't go down in a few weeks time, or it just randomly appears and you have NO other symptoms, it is definitely a very good idea to go see a Doctor. Do what you think is best for you, if the Doctor gives you the response "It's fine", yet you are still worried, go to a different doctor.. or doctorS and get opinions! It's better to be safe than sorry. Just don't panic, most of the time glands swell due to infection caused by viruses or bacteria. In some cases glands can stay swollen after an infection has passed. Everyone's body is different. Cbs13 gave some great advice, don't always think the worst! I did the same and had myself freaked out for days! The internet has some scary stuff out there. Don't freak yourself out.

If anyone has any questions about my situation or anything else, please feel free to ask! I would love to help anyone in any way I can.

Closed Thread