It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

Delforbes HB User
Radiation neck.

Hi folks. I finished radiation 5 months ago for cancer of the Larnyx.5 days a week for seven weeks.It was HELL. I still have a dry throat and thick mucus that sticks to the walls of my throat and down below my vocal chords(folds) Have to have a bronchiostopy to see if it is cancer or mucus.My voice is still shot for weeks now. It was almost normal for a while until this crap coated my vocal chords.Doesn't hurt to swallow but almost no saliva most of the day and night.Hard to cough up this crap now.Any of you folks know how long this throat problem will last. Or I'll start producing saliva again.I lost 56 pounds which is nice. There is a bright side,it's just hard to find sometimes. Thank you for any info. It's appreciated. Del. delforbesy@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited by Delforbes; 05-23-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: more info.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lbp35 HB User
Re: Radiation neck.

sorry you are going thru this. My ex husband had throat cancer stage 4 going on 7 years ago now.He is doing very well with the exception of gaining weight.he would love to gain.I kno his saliva took a while to come back, he always carried water with him.Probably almost a year until it completely returned.Measure your improvement by weeks not days.It will take a while to heal.Treatment is hell but works!good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to lbp35:
Delforbes (06-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
(male)

Delforbes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbp35 View Post
sorry you are going thru this. My ex husband had throat cancer stage 4 going on 7 years ago now.He is doing very well with the exception of gaining weight.he would love to gain.I kno his saliva took a while to come back, he always carried water with him.Probably almost a year until it completely returned.Measure your improvement by weeks not days.It will take a while to heal.Treatment is hell but works!good luck
Thank you for the info.Guess I'll just have to be patient.Had a throat wash the other week.Thought I was going to choke to death.Nobody told me this would be this much fun.I'll say a prayer and keep a good thought for your ex hubby Angel. Bye for now Del.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Based on my experience, it'll take a year or two for things to begin to feel normal again. For a year or more after radiation, I thought I was ruined.

The saliva problem is more problematic. From what I have read, if the saliva glands were radiated, they may take substantially longer to regenerate or in fact may not function again. Fortunately mine were spared and I have no actual experience with salivary problems.

My advice is to be patient and don't get discouraged. But see the ENT frequently to check your throat for any problems.

It's been over ten years since I had surgery and radiation with no recurrence.

Oh, and for at least a year I could only speak in a montonic deep bass voice. Felt like Johnny One-Note. But voice returned to normal.

Last edited by Fizzickle; 06-28-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
(male)

Delforbes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzickle View Post
Based on my experience, it'll take a year or two for things to begin to feel normal again. For a year or more after radiation, I thought I was ruined.

The saliva problem is more problematic. From what I have read, if the saliva glands were radiated, they may take substantially longer to regenerate or in fact may not function again. Fortunately mine were spared and I have no actual experience with salivary problems.

My advice is to be patient and don't get discouraged. But see the ENT frequently to check your throat for any problems.

It's been over ten years since I had surgery and radiation with no recurrence.

Oh, and for at least a year I could only speak in a montonic deep bass voice. Felt like Johnny One-Note. But voice returned to normal.
Thank you so much.At least now I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.I have to repeat evrything because nobody can understand what I say.My voice is just a wheezy croak.Thank you and stay well. Del Forbes. Hamilton Ontario.

Closed Thread