It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

ferrethouse HB User
Curved Uvula

I have lots of symptoms that are consistent with both throat cancer and LPR. I've been to my ENT twice and he simply did an indirect scope (light and mirror). I explicitly asked him if there was any concern about cancer and he said no. He said it was LPR based on the results of a barium swallow. But he said that my throat looked normal (no inflammation or redness). How can I have LPR but not have inflammation or redness. I've also been on PPIs for 4 months and there has been no improvement.

The one symptom I have that can't be explained by LPR is that my uvula does not hang down straight. It is curved to one side. If this was a symptom of concern I would think the ENT would have noticed it and taken it into consideration. Googling curved uvula does not offer any explanation other than a lesion of the vagus nerve.

My wife works in a cancer center and told me that neck cancers grow quickly and that if things haven't deteriorated noticeably in 7 months then it isn't cancer - especially if no lumps can be seen or felt. Is that true?

Last edited by ferrethouse; 08-17-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Curved Uvula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrethouse View Post
My wife works in a cancer center and told me that neck cancers grow quickly and that if things haven't deteriorated noticeably in 7 months then it isn't cancer - especially if no lumps can be seen or felt. Is that true?
That would be interesting to know. Your wife probably has some good experience.

Personally I know I've had trouble for some 2+ months now, but if some of my other throat problems are related, I've had something going on for 9.

I'm going to an ENT tomorrow (I like him; only the last check-up did he not scope me - I expect the scope now). We'll see what he thinks of my own "looks", never mind my 9 months' history.

I wish you luck. It could be we've just hit a phase of very bad LPR - lots of bad throats.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

That's interesting. My ENT did an indirect scope the first time (flashlight and mirror). I wanted him to do a direct scope the second time but when I asked him to he said "i just did" referring to the indirect scope. I'm not sure how competent he is. I'm feeling really frustrated about this whole process. Even if it isn't anything serious the symptoms are constant and it wears on your soul.

My wife is a medical physicist so she treats cancer patients with radiation. So she doesn't know too much about diagnostics but more than most people I guess.

Last edited by ferrethouse; 08-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Well, I went to the ENT - who did a "direct" scope! - and he doesn't see much of anything but slight "reflux changes". No redness, nodules, growths, anything. Boring. He is culturing it to be sure there's not some infection (including the odd MRS-type infections my dog had).

What was really weird was he had to pull out this ugly large black glob of wax from my right ear (same side I mostly have trouble with). I wonder if that's caused alot of my pointed pain on the right side.

Basically it sounds like I'm just at a different stage of LPR - more trouble with my throat than I used to have. I told him all about my past "stabbings" for 9 months and everything. He said I can come back soon if I have more trouble.

Maybe we've become the unlucky(?) LPR people who have major symptoms with it. Wonderful!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

So long as there is no cancer we should count ourselves as lucky. Glad to hear they didn't find anything bad.

Closed Thread