It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

kwpastorwife HB User
Impatient

I am new here and, after reading some other posts, I feel a bit guilty about why I came to this site in the first place.

I am looking for any and all tips for recovering my voice.

I am 3 weeks out of Radiation and am growing increasingly impatient with "the whisper".

After reading about other's feeding tubes and weight loss and stuff, I realize why the nurses and Rad Techs were so excited about me. I didn't lose any weight and was able to eat (at least soup) all through my treatments.

Also after reading, I realize how blessed i am. I had cancer in 08-09 and therefore was under constant Dr supervision. My Otolaryngologist cought the cancer early the 1st time and caught it early this time too. As a result, I only had to take 28 treatments of Radiation.

I was really really sick 2 weeks ago, but now I feel okay. Still a LITTLE tired.

My main complaint is my voice. I am impatient. I am done with radiation and ready to get on with life. I have learned along this journey that doctors are very vague. I totally understand that they can't say "you're voice will come back in 17 days" because it might not.

For example, they said that my neck would be painful and irritated. Did not tell me that I was going to have oozing sores that would stick to my pillow at night and wake me up. And they said that I would have thick saliva and mucus but did not tell me that I would cough til I vomit.

So, that being said...What can I REALLY expect now that radiation is over? I've already made it through the dreaded 2 weeks where everything continues to get worse...thought I was gonna die....literally. Now I am feeling better.

The burn on my neck has healed (got that Silver sulfer cream).

I just can't talk. and I still cough alot!!!!!

So, who's ahead of me in this game? What can I expect as my voice recovers?

My Rad Onc said that he expected my voice to START to come back in about a month (that will be next week), that it would continue to improve over 3-6 months and that i would have my "new normal" voice in 12 months.

So, who's already been down this road?
Is there anything I can do to HELP my voice recover?

thanks!
K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
laryngeal cancer, post radiation, voice recovery