It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
(female)

PunkPaula HB User
Worried Mum needs advice

Hi. I'm here because I'm worried that I might have throat cancer. I am a 28 year old Mother of 4 and urgenty need advice.

For the last 6 weeks I've had a very swollen but painless tonsil and and the lymph nodes under my right ear and swollen and hard. I was treated with two courses of antibiotics and my doctors are now sending me to ENT because it's not an infection, not a cyst and not an abscess that's on the neck or throat and the enlarged tonsil and throat aren't going away.

All of this is completely painless but does affect my swallowing and, occassionally, breathing.

I have decided it best not to wait til my ENT appointment gets sent to me and i am going to try to have someone at the hiospital look at it to try to tell me what it is. Given the breathing difficulties, I don't think I'm out of line in going to hospital even though I am in no pain whatsoever. The right side of my face is also slightly swollen. I also have leukoctyes in my urine.

I am going to call the National Health Service advice line today to see what to do.

Advice and support appreciated. Also suggestions as to what it could be that isn't cancer

Many thanks.

Last edited by PunkPaula; 04-13-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

PunkPaula HB User
Re: Worried Mum needs advice

Please, anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
(male)

tim6003 HB User
Re: Worried Mum needs advice

I do not want to scare you and of course it could be many things. You did not say how far out your ENT visit was ...but by all means I am on your side bc of what happened to me.

Felt like I had a soar throat, lymph node swelled up. Two rounds of antibiotics and nothing happened. CT scan (which I had to push for) of the neck showed mass at the base of my tongue.

See ENT, confirms base of tongue cancer stage III with one lymph node invovled. (that's called local metastasis - which automatically makes it stage III). My cancer mass at the base of my tongue was 1.5 centimeters and had spready to the lympn node.
My cancer was also HPV + (which means it was viral related) ...

Again, not to scare you...but please do get checked. The nature of throat cancer is no symptoms or signs until stage III or IV most often ...and your sound much like mine. What you dont want is spread to the brain or lungs which is the most common scenario of left untreated or too far advanced.

I want you to know too that Iam 3 months post treatments and all the visual signs say my treatments did a good job on the cancer. I go for my PET scan May 7th.

I pray it is not the worst case ....but if it is, it can be beat ...but you need to move now.

Bless you.

Tim

Last edited by Administrator; 05-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Closed Thread