It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
(male)

whitegt HB User
Trying to get a diagnosis...

For 9 weeks I have had the following symptoms which have gotten worse over this period (46 year old male/no smoker/social drinker/in good physical shape):
-fatigue
-sore throat on and off (more apt to happen after I talk for a while)
-globus sensation in throat
-intense headaches (I guess similar to migraines) that usually happen at the same time each day (2-3pm), last between 2-7 hours and usually on the right front area of my head as well as the lower back/neck.
-stiff neck
-referred ear pain
-lost 7 pounds in 6-7 weeks which is not normal for me (appetite is less than normal)

So far the following tests have been run and all were negative. No physical bumps or lumps are present on my throat/neck area.
-barium swallow
-thyroid ultrasound
-CT scan of head
-laryngoscopy
-Did test positive for flu two weeks ago but that has come and gone I think.

I'm going for an endoscopy consult tomorrow. I've mentioned to the doc for a neck/head MRI but they are reluctant. This reluctancy from what I hear is due to the pressure insurance companies place on these providers to keep the diagnostic costs as low as possible. I'm going to insist on the MRI after the endoscopy if it comes down to it.

So, luckily, for all of Nov and Dec. I've been lying in bed or moping around but this is my quiet season so work has been easy. Tomorrow starts the busy season!

I'm not looking for a diagnosis from the board but rather some insight to see if any others have had similar symptoms and what your outcome has been. I'm sick of being sick.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
(female)

dlachapel HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegt View Post
For 9 weeks I have had the following symptoms which have gotten worse over this period (46 year old male/no smoker/social drinker/in good physical shape):
-fatigue
-sore throat on and off (more apt to happen after I talk for a while)
-globus sensation in throat
-intense headaches (I guess similar to migraines) that usually happen at the same time each day (2-3pm), last between 2-7 hours and usually on the right front area of my head as well as the lower back/neck.
-stiff neck
-referred ear pain
-lost 7 pounds in 6-7 weeks which is not normal for me (appetite is less than normal)

So far the following tests have been run and all were negative. No physical bumps or lumps are present on my throat/neck area.
-barium swallow
-thyroid ultrasound
-CT scan of head
-laryngoscopy
-Did test positive for flu two weeks ago but that has come and gone I think.

I'm going for an endoscopy consult tomorrow. I've mentioned to the doc for a neck/head MRI but they are reluctant. This reluctancy from what I hear is due to the pressure insurance companies place on these providers to keep the diagnostic costs as low as possible. I'm going to insist on the MRI after the endoscopy if it comes down to it.

So, luckily, for all of Nov and Dec. I've been lying in bed or moping around but this is my quiet season so work has been easy. Tomorrow starts the busy season!

I'm not looking for a diagnosis from the board but rather some insight to see if any others have had similar symptoms and what your outcome has been. I'm sick of being sick.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure if you got this sorted?
Have they tested you for Mono? Many of your symptoms sound very similar to those of Mono.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Trying to get a diagnosis...

I agree with mono needing to be ruled out. It is checked by blood test. Did you have a CBC and throat culture done intially? Sometimes there are clues on CBC that point to mono. If you have your CBC results, look for hi lymphocytes and atypical or reactive lymphocytes. These are often present in mono and some other viral infections.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
(female)

Olympia61 HB User
Re: Trying to get a diagnosis...

My husband has oropharyngeal (throat -- base of tongue) cancer, and it wasn't really very hard to diagnose at all. Naturally, I'm not in a position to tell you that you don't have throat cancer, but in his case, all it took was an ENT looking down his throat with a laryngoscope; the ENT was even able to accurate assess the stage merely based on the examination with the scope, although this was later confirmed with biopsy and PET. The chemoradiation my husband is having for throat cancer is really quite miserable, so while I know it's stressful not to know what's causing your symptoms, it's really GOOD news that it's not cancer.

By the way, how do you know your ear pain is referred pain?

Reply Reply